Hydraulic clutch worth it?

rider119

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What difference does a hydraulic clutch make on the pull? Any other advantages besides never having to adjust it or wearing out a cable?

As far as never having to adjust your clutch it really depends on which type of hydraulic clutch conversion you go with. If you go with the type like Hugh sells you will still have the adjustment at the LH side cover just like with a cable operated clutch. If you go the route of using a slave cylinder from a sportbike like the Aprilia then you will NOT have the adjustment at the LH side cover but it requires quite a bit more effort to accomplish the conversion. I don't know if there are any other advantages as far as lever pull effort goes (TwoMany has made some interesting alterations to the original worm screw that seem to help) but with mine when I first got it the clutch was terrible (probably due to a corroded cable binding). With the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder from the Aprilia it is a very consistent pull and I never have to worry about lubing the clutch cable to keep the corrosion away. Just my thoughts and observations.

Alright thanks. I would probably go with Hugh's kit myself. Really just depends on if it makes the pull easier, like two finger easy.

Gotta agree with you rider119, first couple of weeks riding my 82' XS650 and my clutch hand was hammered! It gets easier, especially if you do what I did and got a cable oiler and some really good quality cable lubricant. Changed the amount of force I had to exert immediately. Cable oiler was my bro's, so was the cable lube. Didn't cost me a red cent, clutch is smooth as.

Back