Hydraulic clutch

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone changed to a hydraulic clutch?
Is it much of an improvement?
I see the XS650 shop has one and thought it would improve my gear changing.

There are actually a couple different hydraulic clutch mods that can and have been done to these. Hugh's Handbuilt offers what looks like a good quality setup, I can't say first hand as I went a different route. Then there is also a mod using an Aprilia slave cylinder like myself and osteoderm have done which is a little more complex but in my opinion works very well and eliminates the worm gear and the fiddly adjustments all together. You can check out osteoderms build thread or mine for a little info on the Aprilia slave cylinder mod.

I wont build another bike without it. I did the custom side cover modification with a slave cylinder from a honda and it makes the clutch so smooth and easy to operate.

Of all the mods I've done, the hydraulic clutch definitely made the most improvement to the bike relative to the effort/expense needed to install it.

With my particular Brembo radial master, I don't find the overall lever pull effort to be greatly reduced (compared to a well-adjusted and well-lubricated cable), but the clutch action is consistent, smooth, predictable, and self-adjusting, with excellent "feel" and modulation.

Except for bleeding it after installing a new master cylinder reservoir, I haven't done a touch of service/adjustment to the clutch in two years, and it feels just as good now as new.

Looks like that will be my next job after getting the idle sorted out.
The XS650 shop in Kiel do a conversion kit. Bit expensive at 300 euros but could be a good investment if they have done all the design work.

Looks like that will be my next job after getting the idle sorted out. The XS650 shop in Kiel do a conversion kit. Bit expensive at 300 euros but could be a good investment if they have done all the design work.

My hydro clutch mod cost me about half of that. The machining to the sidecover is just three drilled and tapped holes. The machining to the clutch slave can be done with a hacksaw and a file. Getting the new pushrod length right is a little fiddly, but nothing that any careful home mechanic couldn't handle.

Back