I am getting spark but it is white and not blue

socxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting a spark on my bike but it is not blue as specified in the book. Everytime I try and start the bike nothing happens except for an occasional backfire and I check the plugs and they don't seem to be fouled. Is it possible I might need a new voltage regulator. I don't have an ohm meter and am not sure on how to use one if anyone could help. If there is anyone in the DFW area that I might able to show the problem or talk to in person that could give me a better idea of what I should do with i have already tried.

Thanks ahead,
Joe:thumbsup:

What year bike? Go to your member profile and fill out your signiture. It will show up when you post. Like stock motor what carbs exhaust ignition pod filters ect. The white spark is ok mine was white. Clean and sync. your carbs. Set timing,adjust cam chain and valves.Lots of Texas members some one might help you. Get olhm meter learn how to use it. Some have instructions. Get other opinions. :D

I am getting a spark on my bike but it is not blue as specified in the book. Everytime I try and start the bike nothing happens except for an occasional backfire and I check the plugs and they don't seem to be fouled. Is it possible I might need a new voltage regulator. I don't have an ohm meter and am not sure on how to use one if anyone could help. If there is anyone in the DFW area that I might able to show the problem or talk to in person that could give me a better idea of what I should do with i have already tried.

Thanks ahead,
Joe:thumbsup:

When was the last time the engine ran normally? What parts have you changed or done work on since it ran normally?

As scabber said..............provide lots more info on the bike/engine/ignition/carbs etc.

Word to the wise...................low battery voltage will cause many, many problems on these bikes.

The voltage regulator has no connection to the ignition beyond keeping the battery charged. The ignition needs full battery voltage to work well.
Leo

It is a stock 1980 xs650G and I was told it last ran two years ago. I changed the ignition coil and charged the battery. I adjusted the valves and rebuilt the carbs. The tank is in good shape and I got a new battery. I have not yet done any cam adjustment, but I did do the repair to the TDI unit and I have gotten backfire but no real start on the motor. I don't know what else to add but if you guys can think of anything else please let me know.

I take it that you were not getting a spark before the repair to the TCI. What repair work did you do to it. Have you done a compression test? It would be nice to know what the numbers are. You should adjust the cam chain before the valve adjustment. Turn you tank valve to prime. Pull the enritcher out and do not give it throttle. You need fuel compression and spark at the right time for it to run.

Back