I...but that's...Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm.jpg

I think we're looking at a Bendix Eclipse, an air cooled outboard about that vintage. I'm guessing the drive mechanism is a belt off the prop shaft which would allow for an idler pulley tension clutch. Cute.
I wondered if there was such a thing. Didn't see a water exhaust on the shaft housing, but wasn't aware there were air cooled outboards. Probably about as common as hen's teeth and unicorn farts...

Nope, and we do not have a good picture. If that's a battery, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I think the cable running up to the motor is probably the throttle. The Bendix did not have a recoil starter, just a rope sheave on top, which we don't see. Look close at the down-tube coming out of the power head. Just below the power head you can barely see little cooling fins on it, it is the exhaust tube. The smaller diameter tube is the drive shaft housing. Electric outboards of that vintage did not look like that.

I finally blew up the picture but still can't see the cables, only the one. The cable is going up to about where it might be connected to the throttle advance or carburetor. If so, it is pulling in the right direction. See the fins I mentioned ? Some old motors had a battery ignition or were converted to that if the magneto went south. It's a Bendix Eclipse.

Nope, and we do not have a good picture. If that's a battery, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I think the cable running up to the motor is probably the throttle. The Bendix did not have a recoil starter, just a rope sheave on top, which we don't see. Look close at the down-tube coming out of the power head. Just below the power head you can barely see little cooling fins on it, it is the exhaust tube. The smaller diameter tube is the drive shaft housing. Electric outboards of that vintage did not look like that.
Ok Mystery solved, @hovel is correct, mostly. That is a battery/cable, it is a Bendix Eclipse. But it is a battery powered, air cooled motor.
bendix2.jpg
bendix3.PNG

Back