Progressive, 2 policies, 6 bikes,
79 XS650
09 Honda DN01
08 Bmw 1200GS
06 Buell Ulyses
82 CB900F
87 Yamaha Radian gotta change this to Ole Paint

All liability only total $260
Yeah, contrary to my societal views, Progressive here too. Thinking I had two or three on and all under a buck fifty......course that's been a few years gone.

That's a nice theory but there is a catch. What happens if you let someone else take your bike for a ride? You as the owner will bare some responsibility(liability) no matter what they have for personal insurance.

That's a nice theory but there is a catch. What happens if you let someone else take your bike for a ride? You as the owner will bare some responsibility(liability) no matter what they have for personal insurance.
For me personally, someone would have a better chance riding my wife than my bike, and both ain't happenin'. Other opinions may vary.

Based on the logic that we can only ride one bike at a time, shouldn't we jus' get charged for the one? Jus' sayin'.... :umm:
I think I do get a discount for a second bike. But it can get stole while I am away. Not likely most thieves would know how to turn on gas, find choke, etc . That is why I leave the keys in anyway.

A friend has over 23 vintage, very collectible bikes. I asked him if had special “fleet” insurance and he replied no, each one was insured separately, even though he is the sole rider.

I looked at my old policy from last year and my XS (liability only) and Moto Guzzi (full coverage) was $1632 per year. I guess this controls how many bikes I’ll ever own at one time. Lol.

Over here we have insurance mandated in the registration.
CTP.
"Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance protects drivers from the financial impact of causing injury or death as the result of a motor vehicle accident"

Here is my DL650 registration cost, including the CTP coverage, + a break down of the insurance cost

IMG_20240310_105320.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-10-10-50-34-24_c37d74246d9c81aa0bb824b57eaf7062.jpg

The I have to buy another policy to either cover damage to the other party's vehicle, (third party), or a Comprehensive policy. This is obviously priced to reflect either policy.

I

Last edited:
Just confirmed my current “Tracker” although of course not insured yet is registered with WA State as a 79 Black Standard , body style “traditional” , no mods
đź‘Ť
Just as my last 78 customized “roadster” and previous XS’s were registered.
Insurance companies look at the vehicle registration.
It’s probably most wise to insure an XS650 to the bare minimum as nobody is going to repair one from a collision.
XS650’s are really in the disposable category as far as an investment. Because only you are going to fix it.
Other modern motorcycles may be worthy of an accurate description and insurance policy.
Also my only vehicle is a 2000 F150, a work truck. My insurance provider recently advised that I was under insured as many of the new vehicles have much more replacement cost, as an example he noted the price of a newer Tesla or SUV Lol !
I have no, as in ZERO “chargeable” collision incidents since age 16 and am absolutely defiant to pay more assuming I am going to be at fault in a collision. (middle finger inserted here)
To pay more for premiums to bet against myself isn’t going to happen.
When I dump a motorcycle (which has happened several times) I haul it home in a pickup and fix it myself.

Yep only vehicle to get comprehensive is the late model 4 wheel stuff. The diff from liability only to comprehensive is minimal on those.
My insurance agent warns me this year everyone will have insurance sticker shock. Lets just say it's going to be more than the advertised inflation rate........

Just confirmed my current “Tracker” although of course not insured yet is registered with WA State as a 79 Black Standard , body style “traditional” , no mods
đź‘Ť
Just as my last 78 customized “roadster” and previous XS’s were registered.
Insurance companies look at the vehicle registration.
It’s probably most wise to insure an XS650 to the bare minimum as nobody is going to repair one from a collision.
XS650’s are really in the disposable category as far as an investment. Because only you are going to fix it.
Other modern motorcycles may be worthy of an accurate description and insurance policy.
Also my only vehicle is a 2000 F150, a work truck. My insurance provider recently advised that I was under insured as many of the new vehicles have much more replacement cost, as an example he noted the price of a newer Tesla or SUV Lol !
I have no, as in ZERO “chargeable” collision incidents since age 16 and am absolutely defiant to pay more assuming I am going to be at fault in a collision. (middle finger inserted here)
When I dump a motorcycle (which has happened several times) I haul it home in a pickup and fix it myself.
Good points. I would purchase liability only but comprehensive is cheap. My license suggests that I have been riding since 1974 with no claims or accidents (what they don't know can't hurt me). I have some very nice paint work on both bikes and should the occasion arise, I would like that restored. Xs650s are not yet prime collectibles and won't be until the "weld on hardtail manufactures" retire due to lack of business. Most of us just enjoy an engaging fun motorcycle and if we thought "this thing might be valuable" on day, we might enjoy riding them a little less.

Man Vic, you are getting screwed in Ontario. I'm in shock how expensive that is. Here in BC my collector insurance is about $200/year for the 650 and I just paid $278/year for the FJ1200. That is for $2 million liability on each bike. No other insurance. I keep them in the garage unless I'm on a trip. This insurance does have a restriction. You must have an insured primary vehicle (my work truck) and you cannot commute to work with a collector status vehicle. The other requirement for this collector status is the vehicle must be at least 25 years old and in nice presentable stock condition, with relatively little modification except for safety (like brake upgrades).
Hope you find an alternative.

Last edited:
Had Progressive/Foremost for several years on my V-Rod, on which I carry full coverage, but switched to GEICO and saved
Haven't missed Flo a bit

I think different companies look at older bikes differently. My agent asked what my bike values were. I told $4k each so with a $1k deductible the loss payout would be $3k. I think each cost ~$125 a year. That is bundled with 3 cars with full coverage. My agent drives a slightly modified 2008 Corvette, that might be why he understands what to look for policy wise.
I was curious so I called my agent this morning about my actual insurance cost. One policy covers both bikes and cost $167/year.

I'll have to double check but I think mine are declared value and on 5 bikes its less than $500/year here in Maryland USA
Progressive.

My insurance rates vary drastically. The minimum state requirement is very cheap. The price for what I’d like to have is cost prohibitive. The price for what I’m comfortable with is what I consider reasonable. It’s surprising to me because I live in the greater Memphis metropolitan area. I consider myself well traveled and I truly believe Memphis drivers are the worst the world has to offer. Shelby County, TN had over 27,000 crashes last year, about 100 of them fatal. Shelby might have a million people.

I can see that prices vary widely, $440 for public liability on two bikes here is Alberta.

Based on the logic that we can only ride one bike at a time, shouldn't we jus' get charged for the one? Jus' sayin'.... :umm:
Like charges based on the owners record not by the bike
IE no tickets / No claims / Age of the driver ( might be going into dangerous territory )/ maybe miles driven ....
Charging by the vehicle is a bit much

Never thought about that
Here in MN we have no fault insurance so everybody HAS to have insurance but I still pay on my insurance for under or non insured drivers :umm:

I pay about $2600 per year for motorcycle insurance
Frack! I pay €240 p.a. for three bikes fully comp.
Oddly, Third Party Only is no cheaper, and in some cases might be more expensive.
Totally turned on its head, the last few years - was certainly true that fully comp was much more expensive when I was younger.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I pay about $2600 per year for motorcycle insurance - 3 bikes (one bike is fully insured and the other two are liability only). If our riding season is 6 months long and I ride 3X per week, it costs me $36 per ride for insurance. Last year it rained so much, I probably got out an average of 2X per week.

Worse yet is my Toyota Supra. I pay $800 per year and drive the car maybe 4X in the summer - that’s $200 per drive. When looking at it from thus perspective, having these toys is quite costly! Guess I should be riding or driving more to get the cost per use down. lol.
When your government doesn't want anyone riding motorcycles without saying it.

Back