Insurance - cost of use. 💸💸💸

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I pay about $2600 per year for motorcycle insurance - 3 bikes (one bike is fully insured and the other two are liability only). If our riding season is 6 months long and I ride 3X per week, it costs me $36 per ride for insurance. Last year it rained so much, I probably got out an average of 2X per week.

Worse yet is my Toyota Supra. I pay $800 per year and drive the car maybe 4X in the summer - that’s $200 per drive. When looking at it from thus perspective, having these toys is quite costly! Guess I should be riding or driving more to get the cost per use down. lol.

I used to get my insurance through Haggerty collector car insurance, it was dirt cheap on my old Yamahas.

My new Suzuki insurance costs me three times as much. :shrug:
Unfortunately last time I checked, Hagerty didn’t offer motorcycle insurance up here ☹️. The Supra is covered under Hagerty.

I used to get my insurance through Haggerty collector car insurance, it was dirt cheap on my old Yamahas.

My new Suzuki insurance costs me three times as much. :shrug:
Yeah, I have them (Hagerty) on my 01 Convertible Corvette and my 62 Chevy C-10 short bed pickup...definitely reasonable.

I've been considering shopping them on my old classic collectible bikes...maybe they'd make a package deal?

I use Aviva here in Canada $440 for two bikes.
Problem with some companies, they won’t insure vintage bikes. Im with Aviva as well. I’ve been licensed to ride a bike for 50+ years but am charged as a newer rider because I don’t have a history of a bike being insured for the past 5-10 years.

Don't you guys up north cancel your insurance over the winter ?

The Cooperators office in Amherstburg carries vintage motorcycle insurance, ask for Zoe.

Insurance cost - compare it to how some folks have a golf or curling club membership -

I think different companies look at older bikes differently. My agent asked what my bike values were. I told $4k each so with a $1k deductible the loss payout would be $3k. I think each cost ~$125 a year. That is bundled with 3 cars with full coverage. My agent drives a slightly modified 2008 Corvette, that might be why he understands what to look for policy wise.

Just about all providers have raised rates this year, even with "discounts" for multiple vehicles and home owners it still costs too much.
Try American Family. They haven't raised my rates in about 3-4yrs. My bikes run about $70 a year for liability.... per bike.

Glad you made me look!
Progressive, 2 policies, 6 bikes,
79 XS650
09 Honda DN01
08 Bmw 1200GS
06 Buell Ulyses
82 CB900F
87 Yamaha Radian gotta change this to Ole Paint

All liability only total $260

Based on the logic that we can only ride one bike at a time, shouldn't we jus' get charged for the one? Jus' sayin'.... :umm:

Back