I can only select 1st and neutral...

TPR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Ive never ridden this bike before as I have been restoring it after its 25 year hibernation.
It actually moved under its own power for the first time yesterday, only a few feet but hey!

I found its prone to stalling when 1st is selected, but a bigger issue is that it refuse to select any of the other gears- no slip, no crunch, it just won't move up or select anything apart from first and neutral. Its the same with the engine funning and not running.

1979 Special

Any ideas?

many thanks

If it’s prone to stalling then more than likely the clutch needs adjusting. It’s easy to do. Another thing you might check, does the kicker grab with the clutch pulled in? Normally it won’t grab at all and that would be an indicator you clutch may be sticking. Sometimes a good heat cycle to get the plates lubricated is all it takes if they have been sitting a while.

On the gear selector star behind the clutch assembly there are two springs. If these break, as they do, does this prevent gears 2 to 5 from being selected, or does it just result in the gear jumping out unpredictably?

Can you "dry shift" it?

By this I mean, with the engine off and bike on the center stand, can you shift through the gears?

Rotate the back wheel while doing this to help turn the gear shafts internally. If you can only get into first and neutral then perhaps one of the aformentioned small springs has broken. You'll need to remove the clutch cover and clutch to investigate.

Last edited:
If it’s prone to stalling then more than likely the clutch needs adjusting. It’s easy to do. Another thing you might check, does the kicker grab with the clutch pulled in? Normally it won’t grab at all and that would be an indicator you clutch may be sticking. Sometimes a good heat cycle to get the plates lubricated is all it takes if they have been sitting a while.
Thanks, Ive had it up on the stands and selected the gears with the engine running- perfect. But I cannot select anything with the engine off

Can you "dry shift" it?

By this I mean, with the engine off and bike on the center stand, can you shift through the gears?

Rotate the back wheel while doing this to help turn the gear shafts internally. If you can only get into first and neutral then perhaps one of the aformentioned small springs has broken. You'll need to remove the clutch cover and clutch to investigate.
Thanks for that, Ive had it up on the stands and the gears selected perfectly. But I cannot select anything with the engine off

If it shifts alright with the engine running, but won't shift with the engine off, that's not unusual. There must be a few hundred teeth in the gearbox, if some of the gear teeth aren't perfectly aligned they won't mesh, and you won't be able to select the gears where the teeth aren't meshing freely. In your case, second gear.
Being able to select all gears freely relies on the gear train in the gearbox turning.

Last edited:
Try changing gears on a little ride, say a 100 metre ride. After being stored for so long it will take a little time for the clutch to free up completely. The alternative would be to sit on the bike while on centre stand with engine running and change through the gears with a slight load on the rear brake.

Last edited:
If it shifts alright with the engine running, but won't shift with the engine off, that's not unusual. There must be a few hundred teeth in the gearbox, if some of the gear teeth aren't perfectly aligned they won't mesh, and you won't be able to select the gears where the teeth aren't meshing freely. In your case, second gear.
Being able to select all gears freely relies on the gear train in the gearbox turning.
thanks for that

Try changing gears on a little ride, say a 100 metre ride. After being stored for so long it will take a little time for the clutch to free up completely. The alternative would be to sit on the bike while on centre stand with engine running and change through the gears with a slight load on the rear brake.
Cheers, will give it a try

Back