I had a new battery put in now it wont run?????

eosdelb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey yall, I just had a brand new battery installed. We drove it into the shop under the bikes power. He puts a battery in and now it starts fine and idles but when you put it in first it cuts off, repeatedly. I asked him if he reattached a wire and he said no. The brand new battery after being hooked up in my bike for 20 minutes was dead.
This is a bobber. the wiring is isnt color coded. Damn those PO's. I dont know what is happening. Why would it cut off when put in gear? What would a battery have to do with it. Is all of this classic alternator failure symtoms?

i want this to be me:bike:

Not knowing your bike, it sounds like there is a safety interlock disconnected/connected that wasn't before.

eosdelb;
The 1982 and 1983 models had a sidestand relay. The bike must be in neutral or the sidestand up or the TCI ignition will be disabled. When the work was done on the bike, the shop tech may have accidentily hit the sidestand switch or broke off a wire from the sidestand switch.

Try unplugging the sidestand relay..............the problem may go away. The relay has red/white, blue/yellow, black/white, and black wires.

Just noticed, you say there is no colour coding on wires, but the relay must still have the stock wiring colours?

Last edited:
I say just try to find a harness and strip off what your dont need since you got a chop. Plus when you have another electrical problem everything is color coded.

A little more infomation on what your bike is will help. A bobber doesn't tell us much.
It sounds like a custom wiring job. Can you tell us what electrical parts your bike has?

Boy am I glad he figured it out. There was a wire detached from a plug but still left in its hole. When he moved the wiring back it reconected it enough to make do something. He said he tugged at each wire at each plug til he found a loose one and when he found one he cranked it up to see if anything different would happen. Back to running again.

I think I need to figure out and make a harness that I can understand. Or maybe get a harness that came on the bike. Dont like confusion. It reminds me of my oldest brother too much :) Hahaa! Jagwho!

What I have on the bike.
1 headlight
2 horn
3 (dont got em but want em) signals
4 taillight
5 electric start (doesnt work-starter good new bendix wiring bad)
6 speedo (dont have one but I know they need to be lit up at night when i get one)

That is all I can think of. It has the key switch that came on it and left and right controls as well. This is a TCI bike.
Thats it Im gonna go for a ride and see if I can think of anything else.:bike:

Back