I need some help from a xs650 pro

Herndon18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I Have a few questions and dont Have much time during week to get online if someone knows alot about Xs650 please text me. Four.three.four.421.0012. I pulled my points(believe thats what its calles) cocer off and its nothing there. Ive had a Xs650 motor before and it had electrical stuff in there which Im clueless about. I just want to kno What I can start lookn for or the easiest route. Thanks:confused:

Your 1980 has factory electronic ignition which is triggered at the crank, so the covers over the ends of the camshaft will be empty. You don't need a pro, you need a manual and the ability to read it. If you have the latter, go to www.biker.net and download the former--it's free.

So the pic i put up is What its supposed look like. I has a 70s model motor and it was different. Im still new to all this stuff but want to learn. Thanks for the help

He's saying that the empty points cover IS what it is supposed to look like for that year of engine. I had the same question when I first got my bike.

From 70-79 they used points and a mechanical advancer. In the 80 up bikes they used a TCI, or Transister Controlled Ignition. The TCI used a pickup on the stator and a black box under the battery.
Here is a pic of the 80 up stator. Notice the black oval thing on the upper right. That's the pick up for the TCI.
Leo

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 169
Back