I rode with out an auto advance

mrriggs.....................that's quite interesting. Are you saying you start and ride your bike everyday with the ignition at full advance,
i.e. 40 degrees advance?

Yes

What rpm does it idle at?

I've got it set at the stock 1200 rpm. It'll easily run lower than that but then oil flow becomes a concern.

So your ignition is a magneto type?

Kinda... It's a GM 4-pin HEI powered directly from a PMA, no battery.

Thanks mrrriggs for that explanation.Looks like we could all just do away with variable timing, if we are willing to go to kick start only.
I have to pass on that. I did not know you could kick start, one of these engines, with timing at full advance. You are indeed a true rebel contrarian. I like a man that thinks out of the box!

Kick start is not mandatory. In fact, it's usually easier to start a locked-out engine with an electric start provided the kill switch is independent of the start switch. Flip the ignition off, hit the starter, flip the ignition on while the motor is spinning. I used to do this on my drag car. However, I must admit that I haven't tried it with an XS. I don't know if the weeny electric starter can spin it fast enough to build up the necessary momentum.

I'm not trying to say everyone should do away with variable timing, just that an engine can run well on the street with locked out timing. Starting an engine with locked out timing is a real problem and requires some kind of work around. An ignition that retards itself at low speed is a very simple and common work around to the starting issue. Yamaha fitted an ATU because it's far more practical than trying to explain to Joe Shmoe that he has to flip the kill switch after pressing the start button.

Back