I see Big Dog custom choppers is closing

Erik Buell is building bikes for consumer consumption again.

However, I doubt he will be making any blasts.

Nope, no Blasts. The Blast engine is being used by Mac Motorcycles, a new company in the UK to build a sport bike. They hooked it to a 5 or six speed transmission and a high performance frame and threw in some performance mods. It should be a real blast to ride. But I doubt that even with a 500cc engine that the Mac Roarer will be considered entry level.

Too bad.. And those bikes have Baker transmissions, made here in Michigan (Mailing address is Haslett, but I think their factory is in Bath)

Actually, we are in Bath township, but its a Haslett address. I have been here for over three years now, and while its sad to see a Manufacturer fall to the economy, they also did little to evolve as a company. We have been there OE supplier since 2005 I think. And at one time, we were building over 50 tranny's a week for them. We had 6 or 7 guys dedicated to just Big Dog. 5 days a week. Its a hurt that is felt nationwide.
They tried to sell the $35,000 motorcycle, in a rush of up and coming $15,000 bobbers, and budget Bikes. Evolution of the Brand is so important, tough economy or flurishing one.
We have a Big dog, here at the shop. While Big, and slow turning, the Thing is stupid fast in a straight line, and is built with more US made products than a Harley is. Which is some justification for the high price.

RecycleBill is exactly right when he says Harley could have done a better job in education the dealers to the Buell brand. The population base in central KY is well over 300k, it includes lots of bikes and riders. Over the past 10 years I haven't seen 10 Buells on the road. That says it all. Today at the local Kawasaki dealer there is a Buell Ulysses in almost new condition with hard bags and trunk. $6000 will buy it. I asked the salesman "Why is it still sitting here" He said the folks that come in, don't know what it is...Never heard of it. I know Eric in building bikes again, but guys it's a boutique bike, with a very limited market.

I had heard of Buells but didn't even know the Blast existed until I read that it had been dropped. Had H-D wanted Buell to be a real success they could have been more aggressive in advertising and marketing.

Sales and marketing would have been huge no doubt. But Buell was hamstrung by the choke hold HD put on them with development, such as requiring them to use the EVO motor in their bikes instead of being able to deliver a stronger water cooled version. Then, they finally decide to let them do so, and when the engine shows up they said, hey that's a nice engine, we're going to use it for our new V-rod, sorry Buell.
It's a miracle at all that they were able to get the Rotax motors for the latest 1125r bikes.
Most people never saw or heard of the Buell Barracuda that was just about to release before they shut the company down. It was the single best bike Buell had ever produced, Both in engineering and in styling.
HD may have not specifically ran the brand into the ground, but their complete lack of support at any level did not allow them to flourish.

Sales and marketing would have been huge no doubt. But Buell was hamstrung by the choke hold HD put on them with development, such as requiring them to use the EVO motor in their bikes instead of being able to deliver a stronger water cooled version. Then, they finally decide to let them do so, and when the engine shows up they said, hey that's a nice engine, we're going to use it for our new V-rod, sorry Buell.
It's a miracle at all that they were able to get the Rotax motors for the latest 1125r bikes.
Most people never saw or heard of the Buell Barracuda that was just about to release before they shut the company down. It was the single best bike Buell had ever produced, Both in engineering and in styling.
HD may have not specifically ran the brand into the ground, but their complete lack of support at any level did not allow them to flourish.

I am pretty sure the barracuda design will be implemented in EBR's new line up. I would be lying if I said I didn't want one of the Buell's with the Harley engine in it, though. Buell made his name using harley engines by choice. I'm not 100% certain that it was all HD's cramming the engine down his throat.

I am pretty sure the barracuda design will be implemented in EBR's new line up. I would be lying if I said I didn't want one of the Buell's with the Harley engine in it, though. Buell made his name using harley engines by choice. I'm not 100% certain that it was all HD's cramming the engine down his throat.

Well unfortunately Erik had to make some hard decisions when he signed up with Harley. Basically his company couldn't support itself on its own, and by signing with Harley they own everything, all the patents, build rights, everything. (including all the patents for the barracuda, all of which were destroyed) Erik had no choice but to use the scraps they threw at him.
I Agree too, I liked the Buell's with the harley motor in them. But for the market the bike was aimed at, they just couldn't compete. The rest of the bike was very forward thinking, and yet at heart it had a 2-valve head, aircooled engine. Not very advanced, especially when for the price of a Buell you could also get any of the Big 4 bikes with much more power and refinement.
I'm thrilled to see Erik finally in an environment where he can be more creative. And a few years down the road when we can hopefully get a more economically priced bike from him I hope I get to get in line.

My friends at Loaded Gun Customs are hard-core Buell fans. They build some bikes that are just plain wicked. Here's one of their twisted bikes. It'll make you shit.
buell.jpg

So... what about the other American bike companies coming up?

Motus? Some crazy stuff going on with that motor.
Hyland? I'd like to see someone cafe out their street tracker.

I know ATK is going to be doing something weird w/ Hyosung bikes or some nonsense (to fill the Buell Blast void).

Any others trying to come up?

The Buell Blast was doomed before it even got to the showrooms. Who in sales could have ever thought there was a market for a motorcycle with half a Harley Sportster engine. No market, no customers, no sales, no future. One magazine did a article that asked the question, how much savings could there be in removing a cylinder and rebuilding the engine to run without it and who's going to buy it? The loss of the Buell single leaves no void to be filled.

The Buell Blast was doomed before it even got to the showrooms. Who in sales could have ever thought there was a market for a motorcycle with half a Harley Sportster engine. No market, no customers, no sales, no future. One magazine did a article that asked the question, how much savings could there be in removing a cylinder and rebuilding the engine to run without it and who's going to buy it? The loss of the Buell single leaves no void to be filled.

Are you sure? Really?

Actually, we are in Bath township, but its a Haslett address. I have been here for over three years now, and while its sad to see a Manufacturer fall to the economy, they also did little to evolve as a company. We have been there OE supplier since 2005 I think. And at one time, we were building over 50 tranny's a week for them. We had 6 or 7 guys dedicated to just Big Dog. 5 days a week. Its a hurt that is felt nationwide.
They tried to sell the $35,000 motorcycle, in a rush of up and coming $15,000 bobbers, and budget Bikes. Evolution of the Brand is so important, tough economy or flurishing one.
We have a Big dog, here at the shop. While Big, and slow turning, the Thing is stupid fast in a straight line, and is built with more US made products than a Harley is. Which is some justification for the high price.

Durgam,

You work for Baker?

I think the focus now a days has shifted to making the best use of what you have. Undriveable 150K bikes are not it, 300 buck bikes fixed and driven daily are it.

I have an unrelated pet peeve ...

There ought to be a law that says they cant term parts as "unavailable" once they have quit making it. They ought to publish the specs and hand it over to any one who needs a part that is no longer available.

Like the Ignitor box in the xs, prone to failure right, they should put in a list what is there in it and what the circuit diagram is for it and they can say sorry not available, this is the specs and build sheet for it, build it yourself. Or repair yours.
In some aspects its not useful ... like the side cover, if you got the specs for it makes no diff, but other stuff can be built.

Things like engine bearings and other parts specs could help, though we can measure them just fine. Electronics absolutely need to be published.

Cool.
srinath.

Was someone here talking about this ad ?
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/2340712536.html

1996 CUSTOM BUILT , 1996 Custom Built Hard Tail 630 miles, 117ci Hotshot motor, 140 hp 4 5/8 stroker S&S oil pump with a 336 carb, Crane push rods, Dual Plug, Crane HI-4 Single Fire Race Ignition 8-2100.Lots of Chrome, Extra Seat. On the job injury forces sale, my back can't take the vibration. The bike was a garage project, fully completed and well taken care of, but not driven very much. $11995.00, 704-239-2723

Yea, his back cant take the vibration. So in 15 years he rode 600 miles. I think there has been too many of these that they have flooded the market. Factories try to sell things for cost+% basis. That doesn't apply to open market. There would be no problem handing someone a 300% loss. The Law of supply and demand is a bitch.

Cool.
Srinath.

Back