Wanted - I Want TO BUY OR RENT (AND RETURN) AN EPA EMISSONS LABEL FOR A 1978 YAMAHA (BUY OR RENT AND RETURN)

backatit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
GREETINGS. I LIVE IN CALIF AND HAVE FOUND A FABULOUS OUT-of-state XS 650 in oregon that I want to bring here. I have been looking for 10 months and this is a really great bike and I must have it!

I have every issue worked out except ....the CA DMV rules require bikes made on or after 1978 to have the EPA EMISSIONS label in order to get a new CA title and registeatio. Please see my note at the bottom regarding this silly rule.

Of course, bikes get painted, etc.

On a 1978 xs 650, I believe this label is on the INSIDE OF ONE OF THE SIDE COVERS (the back-side of the piece of plastic) or behind the headlight on the neck.

It says something like...."this motorcycles complies with all federal emmissions requirements, etc"
It is about 1" x 3"

I just need it for when i go to AAA/DMV to get new CA title.

I am willing to pay for it. If you dont need it back, great.

But, if you do want it back, no problem. I am happy to "rent" it from you and then I will absolutely return it to you. You will be helping me score a really nice xs650. I have checked re replacement labels and they are not available.

I am happy to provide you with my ID and my work ID (which will eliminate any concerns you may have re not following through with what I say I will do....ie. Pay you, return label etc. I think all labels from that year do not specifically identitfy the model, so a label from any 1978 yamaha will work. Thank you very much for considering my request. I assure you, if you are kind enough to assist me, you can count on me to return the favor, etc. In the future. I will fund the $ you request plus any shipping.

NOTE: I understand some readers may not think this label is needed, or they were able to get their bike registered without it, etc. I understand the DMV may not even look, but if they do ....it will be a headache. And, their website says you need it...i think it is secton 12.135.
If you want to read all the current law re bringing a bike from out of state into Calif., please see my only other post (and reply in same post) which refernces the DMV website.

Like this?

1614553693135924533231.jpg

I could try and see if the 1978 in the garage has a better label, if it does I could try to get a better picture. I'll check in the morning! I suppose someone might be able to make a reproduction decal?

Well a quick Google search does come up with many options. Search for Waterslide decal Paper"

Last edited:
I could try and see if the 1978 in the garage has a better label, if it does I could try to get a better picture. I'll check in the morning! I suppose someone might be able to make a reproduction decal?

Well a quick Google search does come up with many options. Search for Waterslide decal Paper"
I am happy and grateful to receive any assistance...thank you

B79B2398-147E-4BE4-B83F-B4C5EB91910C.jpeg
I went through this with mine last year in California. DMV rules state that your bike has to have a Cali compliance sticker if less than 7500 miles on it however, if you read the exact regulation there is an exemption for 78 and 79. The exemption states that, for those 2 years, a Fed sticker is acceptable since the underlying CARB rules say as much. Took me 7 months, 3 DMV visits and an appeal to the DMV technical unit in Sacramento before they agreed and granted me registration. Total PITA.
0760132A-5391-4671-B1B1-78FE497BB064.jpeg

Sorry I missed the reply I do have this cover and can check for the other side also.

Hey hey Mike, good to hear from you.

She is in good hands. Ive done nothing to her other than replacing the carb boots (I found some NOS on eBay) and adding the grab rail. It is unbelievable how well she runs, it’s as though she was brand new.

I’ve done several 100 plus mile rides and am really enjoying the bike. She sits in the garage under a soft cotton cover and is fully detailed after every ride. Truly a joy.

You are the epitome of a stand up seller. The condition of the bike and the amount of paperwork and material you sent with her was way beyond anything I’ve ever seen. Thank you once again for such an awesome purchase.

While the Cali registration process was a pain, the upside is that the bike is significantly rarer here than it might be otherwise. I have yet to see the same bike on the road anywhere. Added bonus: I was able to get the exact license plate I wanted, “79 XS650”.

if you are ever in town, you are welcome to take her for a ride.

Best,

Rick

View attachment 186633 I went through this with mine last year in California. DMV rules state that your bike has to have a Cali compliance sticker if less than 7500 miles on it however, if you read the exact regulation there is an exemption for 78 and 79. The exemption states that, for those 2 years, a Fed sticker is acceptable since the underlying CARB rules say as much. Took me 7 months, 3 DMV visits and an appeal to the DMV technical unit in Sacramento before they agreed and granted me registration. Total PITA. View attachment 186634
I am going through this now with my 1980, in Cali. Completed title application and registration twice, just to get mail later from Dmv saying it was reneged. Now they are asking for a federal emissions compliance manufacturer sticker? Bike has always been in Cali, I don’t understand this irrelevant nonsense but I gotta figure out a way around it 😩 Maybe if I could find the section in their book like you did..

I am going through this now with my 1980, in Cali. Completed title application and registration twice, just to get mail later from Dmv saying it was reneged. Now they are asking for a federal emissions compliance manufacturer sticker? Bike has always been in Cali, I don’t understand this irrelevant nonsense but I gotta figure out a way around it 😩 Maybe if I could find the section in their book like you did..
They can truly be overbearing. Unfortunately, it’s been 3 years since I went through this and no longer have the validating paper work I sent them. That said, I believe it only applied to 78 and 79 bikes. The rules changed for 1980 and later.

Hi Mike,

if you are still on this Forum, I of course still have the bike. She remains clean as can be and I am still thrilled riding her. Recently had her professionally detailed and plan on new tires and a full service in February.
IMG_1038.jpeg

Last edited:

Make me an offer?

1702615416107.png

1702615441087.png

I believe @swishydressfreedom has an XJ650, not an XS.
Yes thank you. I was trying to research if it matters; does this model difference show on the sticker? Do they verify that? Plus I just barely FINALLY got answers from Dmv about how they will receive this bullshit sticker, thankfully I can bring it in by itself, aren’t they sweet 🥲 @Jim thank you in advance

does this model difference show on the sticker?
No, it doesn't. The engine code on the sticker is 80X65. Both are 80's. Both are X models (XS and XJ) and both are 65(0) class. I suspect Yamaha slapped the sticker on both bikes.

... and no, just based on what's on the sticker, there's no way to tell what bike it's from.... nothing to differentiate one from the other. Correction, one's a 653 and the other a 654cc. That's pretty obscure though.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. The engine code on the sticker is 80X65. Both are 80's. Both are X models (XS and XJ) and both are 65(0) class. I suspect Yamaha slapped the sticker on both bikes.

... and no, just based on what's on the sticker, there's no way to tell what bike it's from.... nothing to differentiate one from the other.
Thank you!! I’ll figure out how to message you

Back