1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas For Mounting Crankcase Breather

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anomie, Jun 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. anomie

anomie XS650 Enthusiast

Hi all,

So I mistakenly ordered the following crankcase breather from xs650direct:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-40.html

Part #15-0682, I messed up the order, intended to order the breather filter with the diecast mount bracket so I could bolt it onto the frame. Anyways, enough of my stupidity-- Does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the above breather? My fab skills are non-existent at this stage and I don't really want to leave it dangling. Any hints at all would be appreciated, I'd really appreciate some ideas :).

I have removed the stock airbox and replaced it with pods so that is not an option.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. anomie

anomie XS650 Enthusiast

Wow, I feel pretty stupid now. But I used one of the frame mounts for the plastic cover that used to cover the old airbox. If there is a better position, I'd still like to know.

3. blackbetty

blackbetty XS650 Junkie

Most guys just use a short section of hose and a $3 brake check valve facing the filter so the motor can recycle anything that comes out.

I'm having a tough time finding a clean way to mount this myself. Don't just want it dangling....

4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The power brake check valve is the cheapest, simplest, and cleanest set-up I've found so far. It fits perfectly into the end of the stock hose and is light enough that it needs little, if any, additional support. You can zip tie it to the sidecover tab if you like. I did so on the right side because the valve wanted to rest right on top of the filter. The left side needed nothing .....

[​IMG]

5. ontherocks

ontherocks XS650 Addict

Just get some hose from your auto supplier. Mine didnt even charge me. Attach filter to your breather and you'll be good to go. Easy peasy.

[​IMG]

6. xschris

xschris XS650 Addict

usa
    This is what I use.:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

7. littlebill31

littlebill31 Smells of Raw Fuel

I use the same as 5twins. It's tiny and works great. I had a larger filter on there, but the damn thing kept, somehow, getting in the way.

8. kvanderploeg

kvanderploeg The Dutch Terror

It's all about the angle of the dangle.

[​IMG]

9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

You guys will be relocating those once they start belching oil all over your carb tops, lol.

10. xschris

xschris XS650 Addict

usa
    4k miles and still the filter is dry.:shrug: Why should it leak oil? Unless there is a issue with the engine.

11. kvanderploeg

kvanderploeg The Dutch Terror

Overfill the oil too much and you'll see it in the breather, otherwise it should remain fairly clean.

12. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru

I have the power brake check valve in the hose with about 18 inches of 3/8 hose from the valve to below the engine. Any oil mist that gets out of the engine coats the hose and is all the filter you need.
    Leo

13. ReycleBill

ReycleBill Part Time Tyrannicide

I bought the exact same filter and never used it. I ended up doing the power brake check valve trick.

14. YL82

YL82 Perpetual Restorationist

Any value in installing a filter on that barbed side piece if I decide to route the check valve someplace other than toward my new pristine K&N Pods?

Any need to install 2 of these check valves? I still have both of my breather "Nostrils" intact. I enjoy the balance of symmetry as much as the next man, but will cap one off if need be.

Attached Files:

15. I bought the check valve from xs650direct.com (mikesxs.net Canadian version) and this is what I did with it.

[​IMG]

I filed the raised edges a little bit to slip on the check valve

[​IMG]

Then drilled and taped a set screw to hold it in place. Looks almost factory to me.

[​IMG]

Put your filter on how ever you'd like.

16. ReycleBill

Mine exits above the chain. If any oil ever does leak out that's where it's most needed.

17. Anyone tried to tie it in to the exhaust so it will pull a crankcase vac?

18. YL82

YL82 Perpetual Restorationist

Lowlife, What you did looks pretty damn slick. I'll put that one down for a future mod for sure.

Thanks, Recycle Bill !

19. ReycleBill

There's a long thread here somewhere where I suggested tying it back into the crankcase via some sort of PCV valve arrangement but the general consensus (saner heads prevailed) talked me out of the idea. But the exhaust?????

20. I have seen it in several forms over the years Mr. Gasket makes a kit for your drag car, uses the exhaust passing over a small tube going in to the header. Suzuki gsxr 600,750,1000 and hayabusa have passages drilled down into the top of the exhaust ports that pulls pressure from the crankcase via a hose