Identify this please

cybrhick

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
2011-12-03113938.jpg

Is this a condenser? If so, can these be purchased at an auto parts store?

no that is a zener diode, auto parts store maybe radio shack yes, test is reads low Ohms one way high Ohms the other

I am trying to salvage parts from a junk wiring harness. I'm trying to find the condensers, but I have no idea what they look like.

The condensers are a 2 pack (2 mounted on one bracket) and mount up inside the left upper engine mount. You probably wouldn't find them attached to a wiring harness if it's off the bike. They're probably still mounted to that engine mount on the bike .....

XS26-5114Condensers.jpg

OK, now that helps. Next question. Are these something I could find local if I don't have them on my harness?

yes a auto supply should have them, you would need two if using auto condensers, one for each set of points the yamaha and honda condensers which would also work are a two pack design

Jayel, is there a part number or specifics I need to know to get the right condensers from an auto parts store?

no any genric 12 volt condenser would work, just talk to the parts guy to see if they have a smaller sized condenser

OK, I found the condenser. It has a ground lead and two male bullet plugs. Now I'm completely lost. Cannot figure out how this connects to the system. I'm starting to not like points. LOL. The manual gives NO INFORMATION at all.

what year bike? find a wiring diagram in the electricial tech section, comimg off the neg. side of the coil are double plug-ins, one condener and one set of points plugs into them... might post a pic of your condenser most don't have a ground wire as they bolt to the frame as a ground point

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 70
OK, I think I have it figured out. I was thinking the condenser was going to run inline between the points and the coil. Looks like it runs parallel with the points going to the coil using a double female connector. Does this sound correct?

So, if I have this correct, the female bullet plug on each coil goes to one condenser, and one point via a double female connector. The male connector from the coil would then go to the positive lead off of the key switch. Also, I assume the coils must be grounded to the frame in order to function?

Yeah you got it now, The diagram shows the secondary circuit tied to the primary circuit so grounding the coils shouldn't matter.
points%20ign%20wiring%20diagram.JPG

but I would anyways.

Back