Idle won't come down

honcr249

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my motor running n after going threw a few small issues the motor won't come down to a low idle it wants to stay at a high idle. The idle screw is backed out all the way n there's play in the cable, does this sound like a pilot issue?

Last edited:
synch is based off the air/fuel screws correct? I tried using a homemade synch tool, I moved the screws back n forth n results didn't change

synch is based off the air/fuel screws correct? I tried using a homemade synch tool, I moved the screws back n forth n results didn't change

It depends on which year we're talking about, but sync is determined by the adjustment screw between the carbs on those bikes with ganged carbs, or by individual throttle cable adjustment on bikes with independent carbs. Not sure where the year break on that falls.

Standard drill:

Adjust the cam chain.

Adjust the valves.

Set the point gap if so equipped.

Set the timing.

(The above steps take other variables out of the equation)

Check for air leaks. Most often found at the throttle shaft seals or the carb boots. Methods for doing this available via a brief search of this forum.

Read the excellent carb guide in the tech section. Then read it again. Then:

Set the idle mixture using the dead cylinder method.

Synch the carbs using vacuum gauges or a home-made manometer (I prefer the manometer.)

Just got my motor running n after going threw a few small issues the motor won't come down to a low idle it wants to stay at a high idle. The idle screw is backed out all the way n there's no play in the cable, does this sound like a pilot issue?

there should be play in the cable, is that what you meant?

My best advise would be to get off your fucking phone and get on a computer. Then maybe someone might help? We're a bit prejudiced here, not by color but by posting method. Let me see here if I can duplicate your response with my computer ....... well, yes I can .... "haha yeah" Boy, that was easy, lol. But it doesn't answer any of your questions, does it. Sorry, I see too much of this day in and day out. I can't respond with help for guys like you. No offense, it's just me I guess, I'm old school.

Back