If someone gave you these 650 parts, which would you use?

Ryan Livingston

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've recently came into a few 650 engines and a frame, along with enough other parts to justify (for me, anyway) puting something together. So I'm looking for comments as to whether or not any of these engines would be a preferred pick to you wise 650 gurus out there.

Engines:
4M4-007845 (XS650SH 1981)
S650-014640 (XS1B 1971)
S650-205348 (TX650 1973)

Frame:
S650-124488 (XS2 1972)

Thanks!
Ryan

The 71 MIGHT have a NON-E Start set of cases.. If so, most of the vintage guys will pay good $$ for that engine. Internals are getting harder to find, has OEM long rods, might have the less desireable roller bearings in the small end of the rods. The Head will be a more desirable head as the ports were better cast :)

The 73 engine will be a 256 engine, and if in good shape is still desireable due to the OEM long rods and better head/cam...

The 81 is a great engine for a 5th gear OD and all the other popular off-the-shelf upgrades that you can do to these engines. Definitely the engine to "build" if you are gonna go full on hot rod...

The 72' frame is best left for a restoration or resto-mod. They aren't as stiff for really spirited riding as the later frames, but just have a nice look to them overall. And ALL off the shelf hardtails and such will have to be modified to fit, so I'd keep it a swingarm frame just for the cool vintage factor.

What Punkskalar said if you plan on rebuilding the engine. If you just want to "put something together," then do compression checks on each, and use the motor with the best compression.

That's exactly the kind of wisdom I was hoping for! Thanks.

I should have described my situation for you all better so that you can even better help me along: I'm in auto service by trade and have had several Yamahas over the years, but nothing that needed reconditioning. When my father-in-law said he had some partially dissasembled bikes, engines, and parts laying around, showed me, then asked if I wanted them, I really didn't know what he had until I saw how iconic and currently popular these things were.

I quickly agreed to rescued the lot. He told me that I was welcome to put one together and sell it. I laughed and said, "If I put one of these things together, I ain't sellin' it. I'm ridin' it." I'd just sold my last bike to venture into a bigger one. However #2 came along right after the selling part. Delivery bills ate up the spare $ pretty quick. Thus, my plans to obtain the next bike were trumped by my baby's lust for organic formula.

So I'm willing and able to work through it piece by piece. But, all arrogance aside, the truth is that for all the bike service I've done, I've never ventured into something this dated and am not sure just how consuming and possible it will be to bring together everything I'll need to get a good runner -which is what I'm really after.

The vintage guys will probably want to smack me, but the engine currently on the frame is the '71 (XS1B) with no E-start. As such, my desire to remain lazy would be to put one of the later options on there with the E-start. Whichever one has the best parts availability would usually get my pick unless anyone thinks there's other things to think about with the other particular engine options I noted in my first post.

So any comments that you can add per the above would continue to be much appreciated!

Attachments

• XS2.JPG
    XS2.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
Looks like a good project. The 650 is pretty simple all around no major goofiness anywhere. If you stick with points ignition you might uh learn something about old tech..

Does the frame have a title? If so I wouldn't get to involved in it until I got either a title for what you have or another frame with a good title.
Leo

Back