If you could buy a brand new master cylinder...

cafetools

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My 79f is in need of a working front brake, it's one of the last things I need before I start test riding my new restoration.

What if you could buy a new one, which one would you buy? Time is of the essence. I want shipping under 7 days max. I also need to use ebay unless it's better elsewhere.

I also want recommendations if I should get stainless brake hoses. Do I need 2? Upper and lower?

Last edited:
Mikesxs compete units are $90 not even with shipping. I was hoping to replace my master cylinder with something that will work just as good or better than stock. I was targeting the ~$50 range.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 154
US seller.........Chinese product...........2 reviews, one 4 stars one 3 stars............Fleabay feedback negatives and neutrals are not answered buy the seller......A good seller has some answers to negative responses...........Brakes are very important

I assume you have one front caliper...in which case, you'd benefit from a better bore size than stock. It would also greatly benefit your braking ability to go with SS brake lines...it really does make a significant difference.
I went to a local shop and found a brake line that matched the length I wanted, and I eliminated the connection point...so straight from MC to caliper...simple.

For the MC, I went with Mikes' 13mm single disc option...works great, highly recommend. (https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-1mh-master-cyl-assembly-13mm-bore.html)

Brakes are important...just sayin'

IMHO, the front brake is the last place I would try to save money. Paint and chrome gets you nowhere, while a good brake may save your life.
That said, I would get a Brembo with a "coffin type" reservoir, and a 12 or 13 mm bore, if you have a single OEM caliper and a reasonably flat handlebar. "Custom" type handlebars may require a master with an angled reservoir, or an external plastic reservoir. If you get a Brembo with a brake light switch, you can use a one piece hose. Brembo master cylinders are more compact and significantly lighter then OEM Yamaha XS and RD master cylinders. And only around 20$ more than MikesXS master.

Last edited:
I had my KZ1000 one re-sleeved in stainless which cost less than a new one, i then bought the seal kit and done the rest myself it will never corrode inside again, mind you i am in the UK, if you are keeping it original, there must be companies that do this sort of work in Utah.

I have no option of spending $100. I need something that will work and not leak fluid for now/ temporary. I know they are important. How about this one it's not 14mm it's bigger at 16mm, will this work on my bike?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Brake...-XV700-XV750/401053962125?hash=item5d60adcf8d

I assume you have one front caliper...in which case, you'd benefit from a better bore size than stock. It would also greatly benefit your braking ability to go with SS brake lines...it really does make a significant difference.
I went to a local shop and found a brake line that matched the length I wanted, and I eliminated the connection point...so straight from MC to caliper...simple.

For the MC, I went with Mikes' 13mm single disc option...works great, highly recommend. (https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-1mh-master-cyl-assembly-13mm-bore.html)

Brakes are important...just sayin'

Attachments

• s-l400 (4).jpg
    s-l400 (4).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 145
I have no option of spending $100. I need something that will work and not leak fluid for now/ temporary. I know they are important. How about this one it's not 14mm it's bigger at 16mm, will this work on my bike?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Brake...-XV700-XV750/401053962125?hash=item5d60adcf8d
No16mm would be god awful. ! prefer down around 11mm A yamaha MC from a XT225 or TW200 dirtbike is clean and simple to install. but when properly rebuilt with a SS line, stock 14mm bore is OK.
good reading here http://www.xs650.com/threads/okay-where-did-i-go-wrong-11mm-master-cylinder.21564/
Past experience with chinese MC's has been a crap shoot the critical bleed port is sometimes poorly drilled.

I have the original XS Special rototiller type bars (14mm MC + Single disk). Due to the slope you are limited in available MCs. I settled on a second hand Virago XV250 with 12.7mm piston. This really improved the brakes but 12mm would be much better.

Beware of those cheap Chinese MCs. They have a very poor record. I tried one, being cheap, but could not open it to put in the brake fluid but managed to get my money back. When you see a nicely priced unbranded MC and it does not have an adjuster screw then it is probably a cheap Chinese one with the price inflated from the original £12 to maybe 2 or 3 times.

With secondhand you get a quality item that usually only needs cleaning inside and out. Often the pistons do not even need replacing. I have a Virago XV1000 MC also and it was disgusting inside but the piston was still good so didn't need an piston kit. Same was true for my SH 14mm piston.

Edit: Just saw gggGarys last Email - Loads of quality units to choose from.

Here is a complete setup I am selling and it works. $50.00 for whats in picture or if you just want master $25.00

That's a great price!

Cafetools, you didn't mention why you need a new MC, but if you have the stock one, perhaps you just need to restore it? It's pretty simple to do, and may not require any new parts--just a cleaning?

I`ve spent the last 3 days looking for a matching front brake master cyl with a remote reservoir and a clutch lever and perch both without mirror mounts. No Luck. Found the perfect set but the bore size was 19mm. I like Magura brand but they are a little pricey.:yikes: OEM always seems to work.

I have these and they are new not cheap . I am not going to use them on a build. $100.00 FREE SHIPPING in USA

Attachments

• mt.jpg
    mt.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 203
Yes, do get a stainless brake line. Use one long line to replace the 2 part original. The only reason to stick with multiple lines would be the addition of a second disc. That's why Yamaha did it. They put a 2nd disc on the 650 for some markets and also offered it as an upgrade elsewhere. Many of us have been using the stainless lines from Banggood for a couple years now with good results. I've seen no reported problems with them yet. Prices have started to creep up but they're still silly cheap, about $10. A 90cm (35.4") length works well for normal height bars .....

https://www.banggood.com/50cm-200cm...eft-hotproducts__1&ID=514958&cur_warehouse=CN

I have this setup that I no longer want. $60 shipped today. I live in Colo. so you should get it in 2 days,

Attachments

• master cylinder.jpg
    master cylinder.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 144
I have been using these cheap Chinese M/Cs for ages. The one above is a little big bore-wise, but will work fine. They are cheaper if you buy from China -- they take a while to arrive, so I always keep one on hand, and order a new replacement as soon as I use it. Here's one I like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Fron...=item4b4363fe5c:g:xmsAAOSw0dha9srz:rk:30:pf:0
It has a 12.7 mm bore, which has a good feel when used with a stainless line and the stock caliper. Way cheaper than re-building your stock M/C. Things to watch out for are a mirror mount hole, a brake light switch, and a 10 x 1.25 banjo thread. Installed many without any problems.
The same goes for stainless lines. 5twins link is good, but you can find them even cheaper on eBay. Again, shipping from China is slow, so buy them in advance. I keep a few different lengths on hand at all times.

Back