ignition coil

^Are the six wires the same colors on both and in the same position on the connector? I do not think any bike schematics show a difference in the bike wiring, except for a later one which includes a kick stand switch wire.

Last edited:
^Are the six wires the same colors on both and in the same position on the connector? I do not think any bike schematics show a difference in the bike wiring, except for a later one which includes a kick stand switch wire. If your two are the same except for the number, the "b" is probably a minor revision or different supplier.

Yes its wiring color the same on all 6 wires. I think its just a little different but absolutely not “no sparking” status. Maybe its actually a bad tci? Shit i waited for so long...

I just now checked my spare TCI and it is a "B" and it works on my bike. My bike is an '81 and should be the same as your '80 for igntion. BUT there might be differences in Asian versions, I have no knowledge of that.

I would check to make sure one of the lugs isn't being pushed up in the connector housing away from its mate, but you're probably done that.

Even among 6 wire TCIs I've several types internally, they all interchange and work the same. As Leo says above the 7 wire can be subbed in also a little knife work on the skirt on the plastic connector and Bob's your uncle.

Going back to the OP's first post. I Just had a thought. On a 5 ohm coil, coil you run a 5 ohm resistor in parallel with the coil so as to let the ignition see 2.5 ohms?
Leo

^It wouldn't be exactly the same as a points ignition on the 5 ohm coil because half of the current would not be going through the coil. I'm not sure if the voltages are the same but they probably are.

Back