Ignition problem, no spark

flyboy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and just purchased an 81 XS650H. Haven't been able to start the bike but the e-start works fine with a fresh battery attached. The previous owner got creative and changed the fuses at the battery box to all blade type (20 amp). Problem is I get no spark at the plugs. At one time acid leaked from the battery and I suspect the ignition box(?) under the battery got fried...but just a guess. Any help would be appreciated to get the bike started.
I will be starting on a project to mix the antique look with the 60's BSA look.
Thanks,
Flyboy

Do you have a multimeter? If so, look at a wiring diagram (search wiring diagram) and figure out where to check to see if you're getting 12v to the TCI box and coil. If you are, then you can suspect, the box, the coil, or the pickup. If you aren't, trace your way back to the battery and figure out why not.

Travis,
Thanks for the speedy reply! Yes, I have a Multimeter. I checked the voltage comong out of the coil and it read about 10 volts but haven't gone further than that yet. The blade fuse with the red wire (I suppose going to the coil) was quite hot after cranking for 3 seconds so I wonder about a ground out.
Thanks,
Flyboy

On your fuses, the one with a red wire on each side is the main fuse, 20 amp.
The one with red/white wires is the ignition fuse, 10 amp.
The one with red/yellow is for lights, 10 amp.
The one with brown wires is everything else. Use your meter check the battery voltage, When you check voltages at other places it should come very close to this voltage.
With the key on check the voltages at the fuses. The red/white wire is the one you need to check. If it has battery voltage fine, If not check the fuses, main and ignition and the key switch. The switch can have dirty contacts inside. Most can be taken apart and cleaned.
Once you have battery voltage at the fuse check the voltage at the red/white wire at the coil and the TCI box. They both should get a reading within .5 volts of battery voltage.
If not check the kill switch, dirty connections inside will prevent power passing through. If you have good voltage at the TCI box and coil check the grounds at the TCI box and coil. You need good grounds.
If everything checks out good and still no spark you need to check the coil for proper ohms. On the 81 the primary side, the red/white and the orange wires, With your meter set on it's lowest range, touch the probes together, this reading is just the probes and wires, you need to subtract this reading from your test reading to get the actual reading.
Now touch a probe to the red/white and one to the orange wire, If it reads 2.5 ohms + or - 10 % then that parts tests ok.
Now with your meter set to the 200k position touch one probe to each spark plug cap. This way you are testing both caps, wires and the coil. It should read 23k ohms, + or -10%.
Now down on the stator is the pick up for the TCI box. There is a connector for them by the connector for the stator. At this connector there will be three wires, one black/white, one white/red, one white/grey. They used different colors sometimes. Too check the ohms check from the wire that has black on it to each of the other wires. The reading should be about the same and some where in the 700 ohms range.
These are about all the checks you can do on the TCI system. If all these checks are in spec the TCI box is the problem.
There are several things you can try to fix the TCI box. Re soldering any cold solder joints. Re soldering all the joints. Replacing any parts the look burnt up. Usually the transistor and some diodes. If you look around you will find the threads that explain just how too do these fixes.
If fixing the TCI box fails, then you can spend money trying to get a good replacement from forum members or off ebay. These can get your bike running. Unless you get a NOS replacement in the $500 range you will get a 30 year old used part.
There are several aftermarket ignition systems out there. I'm using the Pamco system and like it very much.
The Boyer Branson is popular too.
So pays your money and take your choice.

Oh, I forgot to welcome you too our little forum. So Welcome to the XS650.com forum. And to the wonderful world of the XS650.

I doubt the leaky battery got into the tci. I've ridden hundreds of miles in rain and storms and when I opened up my tci recently there wasn't any evidence dirty water had been on the black plastic inside. It's pretty ingeniously enclosed.

Leo gave a fine rundown on debugging your problem. If you had an oscilloscope you could check that one side of the coil is getting ground pulses from the tci big transistor, that the tci is getting pulses from the pickup, to tell you immediately if it was a tci problem.

I will be starting on a project to mix the antique look with the 60's BSA look.

Hope to see some pics, since is sounds like a thought to make something besides one of those freak chopper things. :)

can't revise pix...sorry

Attachments

• 22 copy copy copy2.jpg
    22 copy copy copy2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_0334-medium copy copy copy.jpg
    100_0334-medium copy copy copy.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
XJWMX-
I'm a picture guy too LOL. Just posted some of my ideas. Trying to take it in a different direction...old school. I'm tired of the chopper look too.
Flyboy

Can't say what might be wrong with yours but here's what happened to mine just today. Yesterday it ran fine, this morning it wouldn't start. I looked and one of the plug wires had slid back just far enough in the spark plug cap so that the little nail wasn't making contact with the core of the plug wire. I pushed it in, pushed the starter button, donned my half shell and rode 50 miles with no problems.

Recyclebill, on the plug cap,thats not a little nail, it's a little screw. Screw the cap onto/into the wire. Trimming a bit of the insulation off and spreading the wires out in a star burst pattern helps.

Back