Ignition relocate and other random stuff

tkurt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm not running any gauges anymore except a voltmeter and neutral light, so thought I would move my ignition switch. I'm pretty happy with the new location although my bracket is not perfect - will have to do a new one at some point.
full

This left a hole in my headlight that i sealed with sugru (neat stuff), then painted. I'd like to get a new bucket sometime - I really like the larger size ones on older vintage bikes. Anybody have any suggestions? I would need something that would still fit the wires inside. The neutral light is a blue pilot LED I got on ebay. I also replaced the old headlight bulb with a new H6024.
full

The charging system is working great (just in case Retired Gentleman reads this) :thumbsup:
full

Luggage: i tried a moped hard case recently and didn't like the look. This is the Dowco Rally Fastrax, which is not huge but I think works well and looks pretty good:
full

Your ignition switch location reminds me of the period Hondas, but on the other side. I like that rear pack. Functional, trim, unobtrusive. I see you have the new yellow voltmeter. Just got some yellow ones, too. Need to play with some thin translucent diffusers, so the illuminated segments shine thru without seeing the blank segments.

Yes, I did the same thing, but with the switch on the left side, it's the same side as the choke and the fuel pet cock so you can operate each with the left hand and not have to juggle from one to the other.

ign switch.jpg

I took my friends Cl350 out the other day and noted the ignition on the left side. I like it on the right (for now) since I stand there to kick-start the bike and it seems to make sense for me. It would also be really easy to rotate it around to the other side since the bracket is attached to the horn mounting plate.

Hey TwoMany, the diffuser sounds cool - got any pics of that?

Diffuser? No, not yet. Just got those yellow voltmeters (also have green and red). I have a box of assorted translucent/colored plastic sheets, and will experiment with them.

Some of the members have installed their voltmeters in the later model idiot light pod, which already has a diffuser. They look great.

When I get a 'rount tuit' I'll be updating my 'inexpensive voltmeter' thread. As a fast fix, I've wondered about simply taping over the display with some colored translucent tape, like what's at hobby and novelty shops.

Here's a good one from Resto:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=270566&postcount=6

Ah, ok I see what you're saying. I had my voltmeter in the "idiot" light panel too, until I took the panel off...

Back