ignition switch wiring

devildrums

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an EMGO 40-37600 ignition switch and need some information on what the 4 wires are for, since I do not have the factory plug to connect to and finding any kind of schematic is virtually impossible. There is a red, black, brown, and brown/white wire. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jimmy

Did the new switch come with a diagram detailing what it's 4 wires are for? If not then you'll need to test it and determine that. Is your new switch just on-off or is there a 3rd position (Park or Acc.)? You'll need to determine that too. Once you figure all that out then find a '77 wiring diagram and hook the switch to the appropriate wires in your headlight bucket.

Did the new switch come with a diagram detailing what it's 4 wires are for? If not then you'll need to test it and determine that. Is your new switch just on-off or is there a 3rd position (Park or Acc.)? You'll need to determine that too. Once you figure all that out then find a '77 wiring diagram and hook the switch to the appropriate wires in your headlight bucket.
That's the whole problem, nothing ever seems to come with a diagram. It is 3 position, so I am pretty sure the brown is ignition and brn/wht is accessories. Just wanted to try to clarify. Thanks.

Well, if you're OK with "pretty sure" then have at it, lol. If you want to be absolutely sure then you need to test the wires on your new switch for continuity in the various switch positions. Red is normally power in from the battery. Black is usually associated with a ground but ignition switches don't have a ground, only power in and power out wires. But there's no telling what the colors mean on your aftermarket switch, that's why you'll need to test it.

Well, if you're OK with "pretty sure" then have at it, lol. If you want to be absolutely sure then you need to test the wires on your new switch for continuity in the various switch positions. Red is normally power in from the battery. Black is usually associated with a ground but ignition switches don't have a ground, only power in and power out wires. But there's no telling what the colors mean on your aftermarket switch, that's why you'll need to test it.
Not really ok with pretty sure, just a figure of speech, but really appreciate the help. Trying to educate myself as I go along.

found on a honda forum
ignition switch.jpg

Back