Ignition switches

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, the ignition switch for my 78SE has a cracked (badly) housing, so I'm looking for a replacement (unless you guys think epoxy glue or something would be a good fix?)

I was wondering about buying an aftermarket replacement and what the implications might be? I'm relocating the switch anyway (probably under the tank, from horn mount) so the stock fittings aren't absolutely necessary.

Can I use aftermarket ones with out there being troubles? Anything to look out for?

I was thinking something like this maybe... http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=342

I'm in the UK if anyone recommends anything btw.

Cheers
adi

I would avoid that deluxe ignition switch from lowbrow; I understand there's higher quality more compact units that uses a barrel type key; the key you'd normally find w u locks etc.

My lowbrow switch has had a wonky 3rd position since I bought it. Contact points must be weak bc you have to jiggle the key in position 3 or else my lights switch off. Hit a bump hard enough at night, lights come off. Have to jiggle the key. It's maddening. I should replace it, but I put my switch in a very tight place and I haven't gotten the motivation to do it yet.

All you need is an on/off switch, no need for a third position. On the stock switch the red wire is power in, the brown and blue are power out. Your blue wire maybe blue/yellow, that don't matter much. Just use an on/off switch. Hook the red to one side the brown and blue or blue/yellow wires to the other.
On the stock bike the third position was just so you could park the bike and leave the tail light lit.
Leo

All you need is an on/off switch, no need for a third position. On the stock switch the red wire is power in, the brown and blue are power out. Your blue wire maybe blue/yellow, that don't matter much. Just use an on/off switch. Hook the red to one side the brown and blue or blue/yellow wires to the other.
On the stock bike the third position was just so you could park the bike and leave the tail light lit.
Leo

Not to hijack but knowing the third position was just for accessory/lights is useful to me right now!

Any 2 or 3 position key switch from your local auto parts store should work if you're mounting it under the tank or seat. With the 3 position switch you can wire it so that one side is run only, center is off and the other side is run with lights on. Saves lots of cold cranking amps.

Back