Ignition timing on an 81

cafeguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please dont hate me, i feel like an idiot but i cant find any info on setting the ignition timing for an 81 xs650, or do you not even have to because of the computer? any actual feedback is appreciated

You can change the timing by changing the position of the pickup on on the stator. If it's not the slotted type you will have to slot it before you can adjust the timing.

If it's not the slotted type, the timing is already in the allowable range. If it is the slotted type, it probably is. Check it with a light. I have my own '81 timing retarded to the max of the allowable range.

Last edited:
You should not have to mess with the timing on an '81 model. The timing is set by the pick-up coil that is bolted to the stator housing. There is a trigger imbedded in the alternator rotor. The pick-up coil has two coils in it. One for start, and the other advanced.

t_1980_to_83_alternator_171.jpg

thanks guys very helpful, now a totally unrelated question, when changing oil should i replace both filters every time?

No. Do not replace the filters. Clean them, make sure they are not torn, and reinstall them. Just be sure to check them rather than ignore them.

Cafeguy, the factory manual is available as a free pdf download from www.biker.net . Be sure to download all the late supplements as well as the core manual. Instructions for ignition service are there.

Back