ignition unit?

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i want to run my bike just kickstart only, and i found a couple good wiring diagrams but theres no ignition unit on them, does the pamco unit take the place of the stock ignition unit?:confused:
XSWIRINGDIAGRAM.jpg

is there anyway to make the stock ignition unit work with this diagram, cause i really dont have the 250 dollars for the pamco kit

sooo your working on a pre TCI motor?

Im confused because your trying to run a kick start only right? in that case your getting your spark from the points correct? (someone correct me if im wrong)

So just use the points instead of a pamco?

im going to come out and say it i have no idea what a pre tci motor is? Its my first bike all i know is that its an 81 xs650

ok i like this diagram because it shows you how to wire it up in different ways. Since your going kick only, ignore the top right. Since you have a 1980 I am pretty sure your going to want to use the two boxes on the right side. Hope this helps, Im no master electrician but I am sure someone will chime in who knows more

xs650allyears.jpg

okay so the pick up coil is the black thing over the altenator, which help get the spark. But the points should be located under the left cover on the upper part of the engine correct, well i dont have anything under there since mine is an 81, i think they stopped using the points in 79 or 80, thanks though for the diagram

Posted via Mobile

If bike is 1981 and you have a square black box and a re/rec on the back of the back bone all you need to do is hook them up and supply 12 volts to the red wires and you should have spark.
YOU ARE LEAVEING OUT A LOT OF DETAIL!!
STOCK BIKE?
CHOPPED BIKE???
Do you see the black box it was mounted under battery box???
Do you see reg/rec its mounted on frame has ribs on it
HERE IS THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR 1981 to 1983 useing TCI and REG/REC

Attachments

• XS-EI.JPG
    XS-EI.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,925
My '81 is starter free. I used the wiring diagram, I can't link it from my phone, in the "tech" section under "electrical" entitled "some wiring diagrams" 1st post by INXS, 2nd one down, black and white one. Real simple for a TCI and reg/rec.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but you really might want to consider getting a manual and reading it.

Bare bones is a good look me and my buddy wired the 78 the same way BUT...if your ever trouble shooting or it's a hard starter that electric start is pretty frickin nice to have. I used a wiring diagram similar to the one littlebill posted just make sure you use good wire and your connections are good that way you can eliminate the wiring as a week point.

Thanks guys for ur help, when i start wiring ill take pics and keep posted, im a fan of looking at pics so maybe i can help somebody else with it to eventually, ill probably have more question eventually too.

Posted via Mobile

Back