Im going to drive from CA to NY on my 650 what should I do not to blow up

Electricnightmare

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my first two bike were xs1100s, I blew them up. The 1980 xs11 special my 2 cylinder spark plug blew out of my head and hit me in the knee going 70 down the highway PO had resleeved it twice sparkholes the size of quarter.Didnt have the know how space time or money to fix or store it. The middle gear seized in the 78' xs11 and I swapped it out but didnt want to spend 100$ on engine rebuild kit then 250 on a valve setting kit only to find out that i needed new cams or worse. So now I have a 650 and I know much more, set timing rebuild carbs, bench sync and dialed mix screw, set timing, valves installed PMA rewired entire bike all that good stuff( the 650 is much friendlier to work on as well ). I'm in California, I want to be in NY, I hate flying, I want my motorcycle in NY. How long can I hold down 65mph without exploding? I was just checking out the very cool spiral studio Thermodipstick http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm and was learning some stuff about temps due to this thread(http://www.xs650.com/threads/signs-bike-is-overheating.36263/#post-365736) and exploding sounds possible after not very far. Im planning on riding through to south cali then zona, texas, louie, bama, flo, all the really fucking hot ones. im going to start in early november because Im retarded and want my nuts to shatter like they've been dipped in nitrogen when I get to new york. oil 1000 miles, chain lube/clean 3-5hundred miles, going to get new skins,oil filters,brake pads/fluid,front fork seals right before trip. what else to I need to watch? Ive got a 79G PMA points and uh its black. Tell me how to not die, but dont tell me not to try Ill blow it up trying before I leave it in cali. Pointers, Tips, Partners in crime? All are welcome whos coming with me bring your goldwing.

Reliable bikes if they are set up properly. The most important thing s to have the bike timed right and carbs set up so they are not running lean, (hole in piston), or to rich, (washed bores).

65 is doable, these bikes will run all day at that speed. Take regular breaks for a drink or take in a view even if only for 5 min. Give your self extra time to get there so your not pushing it and it gives you some time for problems.

Take tools and small stuff that may need replacing................. You know your bike, so ...............if it is on your mind then it is something that needs to be looked at...................Not she'll be right

There is a thread where members posted there contact details and what they had to offer in the way of accommodation, tools, garage and all that shit, to help out fellow XS's on their travels. Maybe someone has it bookmarked and will post it.

Dick.................Has been done with these bikes and older so there is no need for this not to happen...................Help a guy out with positive

Hi Electricnightmare,
you trashed two XS11s and didn't die? At the speed those thing will go even when only running on 3? Surprising.
But about a 1,000 mile ride on an XS650, as long as the bike is in good shape it'll make the ride just fine.
Mostly, ride like Skull sez and only gawp at the scenery during your rest breaks, otherwise keep your mind on the traffic
and your eyes on the road and you'll make the ride just fine too.

im going to start in early november because Im retarded and want my nuts to shatter like they've been dipped in nitrogen when I get to new york.

Like Skull and others said, you know whats going on, 65, it'll go all day, vary speed / rev's, keep the oil changes up to it, I can see your story being really bloody cool, love the comment above, made my day. I've, like others here have rode my XS all day, then the same the following day, and then jumped on for more the following, in the Australian outback, in the heat, carb tuning will also be paramount, keep focused on the road. Nothing like a spark plug blasting into your soft tissue....horror the thought

Last edited:
The XS650 is capable but expect to do maintenance along the way. For example, I was on a 1400 mile trip when I noticed the gas mileage dropped considerably... inspection revealed the tire had shifted and was rubbing on the swingarm. During the same trip I had to replace the turn signal flasher. I monitor the gas mileage because it's an indicator. I also carry an infra red thermometer to spot check engine temperature. Before you leave, make sure there's no intake leaks. Do the WD40 test. An intake leak is the surest way to blow it up. Have fun!

Anyone taking bets?
Oh i got tools Mrtwowheel and Im down for bets, and playful negetivity.
Like Skull and others said, you know whats going on, 65, it'll go all day, vary speed / rev's, keep the oil changes up to it, I can see your story being really bloody cool, love the comment above, made my day. I've, like others here have risen my XS all day, then the same the following day, and then jumped on for more the following, in the Australian outback, in the heat, carb tuning will also be paramount, keep focused on the road. Nothing like a spark plug blasting into your soft tissue....horror the thought
Michaleo ! it was much gnarlier when my middle gear froze luckily I was getting off the highway already suspicious of failure. I was going 50ish when my rear wheel locked. left like a 50ft tire skid i was going straight enough to stay up. I put my skateboard under the back wheel of the 650 lb monster and pushed it off the road with the help of this older chick on a touring BMW. Just gave both those frames to family today who plan on restoring one and bobbing out the other really stoked that my pups are with a new loving fam.
Before i do that trip ive decided im going to buy this sick 95 goldwing trike ride that to new york (did i mention it had 8000 miles one owner and costs 2g?) give that to my parents so they have no excuse not to ride with me because theyre old or something. then im going to ride frieght trains back to pick up the xs and do that trip.
gentlemen place your bets
and much thanks to DaddyGcycles for giving me his phone number like a true G from jersey and answer all of my electrical questions.

The XS650 is capable but expect to do maintenance along the way. For example, I was on a 1400 mile trip when I noticed the gas mileage dropped considerably... inspection revealed the tire had shifted and was rubbing on the swingarm. During the same trip I had to replace the turn signal flasher. I monitor the gas mileage because it's an indicator. I also carry an infra red thermometer to spot check engine temperature. Before you leave, make sure there's no intake leaks. Do the WD40 test. An intake leak is the surest way to blow it up. Have fun!
hmmm ok so maybe check my chaintensioners every few hundred miles to try and avoid that?
WD40 test? spray on intake manifolds check for rpm drop? i think theyre good but i will.
yeah ive actually been playing with a temp gun! i notice that one side of the engine runs a tad hotter and have been worried that im fucking up my tune
then reading that oiltemp dip stick thread earlier i noticed he head similar test results and seems far more knowledgable than I.
WTF is up with the diff in temp between cylinders?

How big do you cats think my Milage intervals should be? Ive trekked on those xs11s. Ill do 400 miles with only stopping for gas and cigs. Im not trying to roll like that neccesarily but if its 400 miles of boring,blah pretty but nothing to stop and scope really ill want to do it. Idk ill prolly dick around alot I think im going to gopro both ordeals as well. Anybody got recomendations about chest vs head mounts any of that stuff. I have a hero3. The 650 will be too buzzy to mount it to frame?

I second the recommendation to bring along a softcover copy of Pirsig's book. His true story of a very long ride with his son will provide perspective, the Bigger Picture (philosophy), which can compliment the ride and keep you from going mad in your focus on keeping the engine from blowing up. His story can provide the rider with company, as he is still alive, as is his amazing life trek.

Many folks get bogged down in the middle chapters in which Pirsig reviews classical philosophy, and they drop the book. Stick with it, and it can reward you. I read it first at 19 in 1975, and then 4 times since. It never gets old.

Michaleo ! it was much gnarlier when my middle gear froze luckily I was getting off the highway already suspicious of failure. I was going 50ish when my rear wheel locked. left like a 50ft tire skid i was going straight enough to stay up. I put my skateboard under the back wheel of the 650 lb monster and pushed it off the road with the help of this older chick on a touring BMW. Just gave both those frames to family today who plan on restoring one and bobbing out the other really stoked that my pups are with a new loving fam.
Before i do that trip ive decided im going to buy this sick 95 goldwing trike ride that to new york (did i mention it had 8000 miles one owner and costs 2g?) give that to my parents so they have no excuse not to ride with me because theyre old or something. then im going to ride frieght trains back to pick up the xs and do that trip.
and much thanks to DaddyGcycles for giving me his phone number like a true G from jersey and answer all of my electrical questions.

Hi Eletricnightmare,
yeah, XS11 middle gear will do that if you don't check it's oil level. Lucky you had your skateboard along. XS650 don't have a middle gear but it's stock swingarm throughbolt can snap it's necked down threaded end off to let the throughbolt fall out in the street and that'll lock up the rear wheel too.
And at 65mph that'll leave a 100-foot skidmark. Lucky my son was riding, I'd have fallen off for sure but all the dirt bike riding from age 10 gave him the skill to keep the bike upright and ride it to a stop. MikesXS sells a full M16-ended replacement. The best time to buy one is before the stocker snaps it's M14 end off.
And now you are on plan 2? Buy a Goldwing trike, ride it to New York, give it to your folks so they'll ride with you and then ride the freights back home?
Being an old fart myself, perhaps it ain't their age that stops them riding with you, it could be their reluctance to be seen riding with a kid who has a skateboard strapped to his bike? And riding the freights home? Coincidentally, this morning's paper had an article about 3 US students who decided to view the Canadian Rockies from a freight train. Railway cops arrested them in Calgary and now they are viewing the Canadian court system. From the inside.
Good luck on your ride, eh?

My highest ambition in life would be to ride in the doorway of slow freights. Nothing on your brain but the passing scenery and sound of the machine.
So far riding a motorcycle is as close as I've come with that.
I stop every 70-120 miles depending on fuel availability.
When are you starting this oddity? November? By then ambient temps should be mild even on the southern lane. Did you pick a southern route because you want to do the east coast also? I hope there will be daily posts and pictures. Lots of pictures.
650skull's suggestion of looking at the road help (or whatever it was called) thread is a good one but because of the flux with members a real time appeal for the cavalry would probably get quicker results.
The tip about large auto suppliers as a tool resource is handy. But I wouldn't pass on help from a sketchy looking dude with a back floorboard full of loose wrench's, women in expensive SUV's or kids on skateboards with a back pocketful of tools.
I'm looking forward to the start of this. C'mon November.

Put a trailer hitch on the Wing and tow your XS650.

The
Hi Eletricnightmare,
yeah, XS11 middle gear will do that if you don't check it's oil level. Lucky you had your skateboard along. XS650 don't have a middle gear but it's stock swingarm throughbolt can snap it's necked down threaded end off to let the throughbolt fall out in the street and that'll lock up the rear wheel too.
And at 65mph that'll leave a 100-foot skidmark. Lucky my son was riding, I'd have fallen off for sure but all the dirt bike riding from age 10 gave him the skill to keep the bike upright and ride it to a stop. MikesXS sells a full M16-ended replacement. The best time to buy one is before the stocker snaps it's M14 end off.
And now you are on plan 2? Buy a Goldwing trike, ride it to New York, give it to your folks so they'll ride with you and then ride the freights back home?
Being an old fart myself, perhaps it ain't their age that stops them riding with you, it could be their reluctance to be seen riding with a kid who has a skateboard strapped to his bike? And riding the freights home? Coincidentally, this morning's paper had an article about 3 US students who decided to view the Canadian Rockies from a freight train. Railway cops arrested them in Calgary and now they are viewing the Canadian court system. From the inside.
Good luck on your ride, eh?
well im almost 30 so my parents are stuck with me being a kid forever. Pops wants a harley but i bet Ma woulda maybe rocked the trike idk. The trike got flagged though so im going to get a normal goldwing its going to kick ass. And those kids in Calgary are fucking pussies who either werent fast or smart enough. probably both maybe junkies. Bet they road across the border with out checking in
My highest ambition in life would be to ride in the doorway of slow freights. Nothing on your brain but the passing scenery and sound of the machine.
So far riding a motorcycle is as close as I've come with that.
I stop every 70-120 miles depending on fuel availability.
When are you starting this oddity? November? By then ambient temps should be mild even on the southern lane. Did you pick a southern route because you want to do the east coast also? I hope there will be daily posts and pictures. Lots of pictures.
650skull's suggestion of looking at the road help (or whatever it was called) thread is a good one but because of the flux with members a real time appeal for the cavalry would probably get quicker results.
The tip about large auto suppliers as a tool resource is handy. But I wouldn't pass on help from a sketchy looking dude with a back floorboard full of loose wrench's, women in expensive SUV's or kids on skateboards with a back pocketful of tools.
I'm looking forward to the start of this. C'mon November.
Starts today hopefully have a gold wind by friday my instagram is HxKxD check me I have a real camera too ill try an post here when i can.

I second the recommendation to bring along a softcover copy of Pirsig's book. His true story of a very long ride with his son will provide perspective, the Bigger Picture (philosophy), which can compliment the ride and keep you from going mad in your focus on keeping the engine from blowing up. His story can provide the rider with company, as he is still alive, as is his amazing life trek.

Many folks get bogged down in the middle chapters in which Pirsig reviews classical philosophy, and they drop the book. Stick with it, and it can reward you. I read it first at 19 in 1975, and then 4 times since. It never gets old.
yo where yo at in CNY im from utica/clinton if ya know

Back