Im going to drive from CA to NY on my 650 what should I do not to blow up

If it's tuned right and not running lean it shouldn't be no problem. I knew a guy who rode his XS1B from Southern Cal, to Sturgis and back. He said it was a lot of work though. I think both my 71 and 80 XS650 would cross the country no problem, but hot weather would always concern me. I always wanted to make some air defectors like XSjohn had, but never could find the time to do it. He had the long distance configuration down. On any trip I would figure to check things every 100+ miles. Heck that's probably when I would start looking for gas anyway. I run a 32 tooth rear on both bikes and that seems to cover most of my riding situations, which is mountain roads with one or two hour freeway runs at 70 mph. ...If it's all freeway maybe a 30 tooth would be better. I've had many motorcycles, some of those Honda CB were glass smooth, but even with them I always wanted to stretch after about 100 miles nonstop. I would also suggest staying in a nice place at the end of the day. Otherwise after your first 1000 miles it's going to start to feel torturous on any bike. It amazing how much better long trips are on a motorcycle when you had some sleep............Oh I should add, I always run the name brand O-ring drive chains.
Heat was my biggest concern that one of the reasons why ive choosen the fall. by "things" do you mean check valves gap, points gap, cam chain, oil level/color,chain tension,chain lubrication, rear wheel alingnment, tire pressure, and for general loose stuff? please correct me if ive negated anything because im either forgetting or dont know. also that is very literally what i will do please feel free to add things anyone

I'd recommend a thorough inspection and servicing of the points ignition system. Advance unit, advance shaft, points cam, new points. Follow all 5twins advance shaft servicing procedures in these threads:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/advance-timing-unit-and-rod-just-to-be-sure.9356/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/rough-cold-start-high-idle-when-warmed-up.28270/

Then, a close inspection of the valve adjusters and valvestem tips. Some clues in these threads:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/valve-goes-in-and-out-of-adjustment-randomly.28536/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-valve-and-clutch-adjusters-resurfacing.41639/

Be sure that the felt wicks are oiled and contacting the points cam. Put a couple hundred miles on the new points, so the followers settle-in. Then readjust timing using a timing light. Watch for jumping of the timing mark, may indicate a worn advancer. With modern gasohol, consider setting the ignition timing just a tad retarded:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-ignition-timing-revisited-are-we-too-advanced.45197/

thank you for taking the time to put those links together for me I will do all the stuff

I must admit I enjoyed the stories of the road trip more than the philosophy, but it's still a good read. YamadudeXS650C said it better than I did. It's also about keeping your life properly maintained.
yeah Idk if im going to make it through zen and the art i feel like its really written for people who dont ride bikes and need alot of those sensations described to them im about half through which is crazy because i usually finish books in a week or so

Quote]; Heat was my biggest concern that one of the reasons why ive choosen the fall. by "things" do you mean check valves gap, points gap, cam chain, oil level/color,chain tension,chain lubrication, rear wheel alingnment, tire pressure, and for general loose stuff? please correct me if ive negated anything because im either forgetting or dont know. also that is very literally what i will do please feel free to add things anyone .....[unquote

Here is a free add to your list............This is the most important thing to remember/do............................

Buy a manual..........In the Clymer manual.........Read chapter 1............Its called.............. General Information............................

Read chapter 2................Its called ..................Periodic Service and General maintenance.................has a list of things to do periodicly and it would pay to do every thing on that list and then start doing the list in the table as per the periods mentioned.

These 42 Pages are your Bible......................

The Hanes manual is more of a Workshop style and you will need to find the related chapter for the General maintenance and period table.

This answers your post #41 ....................And take the manuals with you then you can't forget

I rode a Triumph years ago 1000 miles and had some things go wrong but most of it was because of vibration . I think it would be a cool ride anyway you do it but I would get YOUR body ready for a ride like this . Just remember you can always rent a truck from enterprise if trip goes bad and miles are free to a certain point. Had a buddy last year try and ride from NY to FL on his bike and had a blast all the way until bike broke and needed help so he called them they came out picked him up and he came back with truck (van) went the rest of the way $65. Day and got the bike fixed in FL. You always have to have plan B LOL
DaddyG you are the man thanks for the help before with my wiring issues as well i really appreciated that call. As for the enterprise truck, thats going to go down now that youve given me the idea. me and the homie were planning on dipping into mexico at a point and I think well split the cost of a truck and drive back to NY with the bikes safe and fuckin sound away from the upcoming saltyness. Im doing this because i love this damned 650 not because i want to destroy it!

A test ride of sustained 65mph for a half hour will tell you a good deal, including what might fall off due to vibration.

Out of curiosity and resonance with your trip idea (last year I put a total of 2,900 miles on my bikes) I went out on the Thruway (rt 90) with my '83 Heritage Special in Syracuse, and headed to your destination of Utica/Clinton. The test ride went well. I heard some sounds that I hadnt heard before, but they didnt amount to anything. And I now have confidence that the clutch pushrod seal I put in last week has solved the oil leak issue.

When I got home, I pulled Pirsig's Zen & the Art book off the shelf. Maybe I'll read it, again. Something special always seems to happen surrounding my reading of this book. The last time I went through it, 15 years ago, I was camping alone in Acadia Park, Maine. I was coming up on the end, where Pirsig mentions his daughter, Nell. A young woman approached me in the campsite, having noticed the book I was reading, and she asked me if it had affected me, to which I said yes, very much. She smiled and said that she was Nell.
Ah utica howd she treat ya? What RPMs did you run?I really felt like i was pushing the 750 from just having to consistantly hold down 4+rpms. Its just so boring and straight i didnt realize how spoiled id become from the cali roads! This is a concern for the rest of the upcoming trip as well just how much consistant rpms is too much? i just went down to the city from utica on the 79 xs750 and i dont think ill use the thruway or 87 with the bike anymore prolly take the taconic north then back roads when i hop in between the city and utica. lemme know if youre coming down to the city ever!

Electricnightmare. i went looking for a handle on where you were coming from and after reading your first post it seems your more into the adventure than actually worrying about the reliability of a bike. Be a good story and adventure and be sure to document it for posterity.

Not at all, based my post on the op's post count, being a newbie!!!!!..................couldn't tell if your post was pos or neg, maybe a smiley would have been prudent as well.
not true! i love that thing i woulda sold it otherwise! and i enjoy knowledge! im trying to respond to everyone right now because ive been MIA for a bit, life happens! ill get to the stuff you just posted soon!

Quote]; Heat was my biggest concern that one of the reasons why ive choosen the fall. by "things" do you mean check valves gap, points gap, cam chain, oil level/color,chain tension,chain lubrication, rear wheel alingnment, tire pressure, and for general loose stuff? please correct me if ive negated anything because im either forgetting or dont know. also that is very literally what i will do please feel free to add things anyone .....[unquote

Here is a free add to your list............This is the most important thing to remember/do............................

Buy a manual..........In the Clymer manual.........Read chapter 1............Its called.............. General Information............................

Read chapter 2................Its called ..................Periodic Service and General maintenance.................has a list of things to do periodicly and it would pay to do every thing on that list and then start doing the list in the table as per the periods mentioned.

The Hanes manual is more of a Workshop style and you will need to find the related chapter for the General maintenance and period table.

This answers your post #41 ....................And take the manuals with you then you can't forget

I have the clymer as i did for both my xs11's and my xs650 and my xs750. please dont condesend. Ive read that fucking thing like 50 times. i know about chapter one. I know about chapter two. But books have asterisk's and people have tips that they've learned from experience. excuse my swearing im from upstate new york thats just how i talk.

what id love to know however is what has to be done to increase my rear cog to lower my rpms and how expensive/ complicated it is since i was going to get a new chain before i left clymer doesnt tell me how to do that

I am still running stock points and intented to roll out with a spare set, I was going to grease my advance rod but havent broken into the system because im not sure is there is an advance rod to grease! My year/model skates the line and I had to much to think about at the time. If it aint broke dont fix it. I did have to replace the mechaincal adv springs however. I had alot of confusion about my "lean" conditions for about a week

Heat was my biggest concern that one of the reasons why ive choosen the fall. by "things" do you mean check valves gap, points gap, cam chain, oil level/color,chain tension,chain lubrication, rear wheel alingnment, tire pressure, and for general loose stuff? please correct me if ive negated anything because im either forgetting or dont know. also that is very literally what i will do please feel free to add things anyone

I have been following this thread and no where have you mentioned you have a manual or indicated you are using one.

Advance rods have beem mentioned in 2 early posts with information on what to do and a link.

If i sounded condescending it wasn't what i as intending. Wanted to take you back to the basics and make the point that some of your posts asked such basic questions, that a manual, (not indicated or mentioned one was owned), would serve in your best interests. Using a manual as a base, and making notes, (you state you are having trouble remembering all these things), in an ordered fashion is fundamental to ensuring the bike is running at it optimum and less likely to have a failure.

The advance rod issue pointed out to me, you are not using your manual. It has that information and you didn't make an attempt to do basic research, (using the manual), to find an answer.

If you are not willing to do this your journey will be fraught with failings bought upon your self by yourself.

Last edited:
Mike's XS has an "Overdrive" 5th gear. It lowers the engine RPM about 500 revs. Lowering the # of rear teeth on the rear sprocket is doable and a good time to change to 520 chain. Lighter than 530 chain. Ive done the Od 5th and the 32 sproket. You lose the take off acceleration but if you are not a person of girth like I am you may not notice it as much. Next time I need chain and sprokets I'm doing the 520.

I am still running stock points ... im not sure is there is an advance rod .... If it aint broke dont fix it. I did have to replace the mechaincal adv springs however.

It has an advance rod! Odds are good it's at least sticky. Have you put a timing light on it? both cylinders need to be timed correctly at full advance and the timing needs to advance, retard smoothly as RPM changes, before you head out on the highway. If one is wrong (too advanced) there is a good chance you will hole a piston.
A member recently had this happen, more extreme than the usual holed piston.

img_7250-jpg.88218

Just had another thought. Memories of riding in inclement weather, morning departures with the bike dripping in overnight dew. Given the age of the wiring and connectors, I'd recommend cleaning and dielectric-greasing every possible connector, including those difficult to reach...

OP, if you have breaker point ignition you have an advance rod; it runs between the automatic advance unit (ATU) under the chrome cover on the right side of the head to the breaker points cam on the left side. Here's some advice based on your last post. Go to www.biker.net , download the factory service and parts manuals, and study them until you have a basic knowledge of your machine and its systems; otherwise you'll be asking for serious grief. Print that stuff off and bring it with you.

+1 re. 2M's post. Go through the wiring harness and clean every connector in it, check length of alternator brushes, and if the glass fuses that were original equipment on your bike haven't been replaced with flat fuses, make sure to do it.

Hey OP, just read your post accusing Skull of condescending to you. Clearly you know it all, so don't expect any more condescending suggestions from me. As far as I'm concerned, now and in future, you're on your own.

Has the trip started yet? If you get to the middle of Ohio you can work on your bike at my garage. Lot's of hand tools. I'll even sit by and give advice, even help, if you get stuck with anything. :)

If anyone is in Columbus and needs some help, there is a group called VinMoto. Google it.
Tom

I would check for lose hardware. I would probably want to change to an electronic ignition and check the timing advance too before the trip. In 10'000 on the 1971 I've had to reset my Pamco ignition once. I adjusted the timing chain tensioner first, then set the timing . I would re-torque the head (While it is cold) before the trip. I would set the valves to spec. and they will probably need service by the end of your trip. I would figure to lube the drive chain somewhere along the way. It just sort of depends on how the bike looks and sounds along the way. If the engine sounds good run it. If the engine starts to clattering a lot you know you need to do something. When in doubt change the oil. In the heat we have here 100 + at 2500 miles both my bikes start to sound like they need an oil change. They run fine they just get noisy. Oil is cheap compared to engine parts. The bottom line is you can't carry everything you could possible need, you just have to do the most logical preventative stuff before you go and wing it from there. Don't get in a hurry and just enjoy the adventure no matter what happens. I'm old so I stretch every 100 miles and at 300 miles I'm about done for the day. I can go further, but I try not to. I'm old my friends are old, we get there when we get there, we stop when we feel like it, and we are never in a hurry except when we are 10 miles from home, and a hot shower

Has the trip started yet? If you get to the middle of Ohio you can work on your bike at my garage. Lot's of hand tools. I'll even sit by and give advice, even help, if you get stuck with anything. :)

If anyone is in Columbus and needs some help, there is a group called VinMoto. Google it.
Tom
i plan on starting in november!
I would check for lose hardware. I would probably want to change to an electronic ignition and check the timing advance too before the trip. In 10'000 on the 1971 I've had to reset my Pamco ignition once. I adjusted the timing chain tensioner first, then set the timing . I would re-torque the head (While it is cold) before the trip. I would set the valves to spec. and they will probably need service by the end of your trip. I would figure to lube the drive chain somewhere along the way. It just sort of depends on how the bike looks and sounds along the way. If the engine sounds good run it. If the engine starts to clattering a lot you know you need to do something. When in doubt change the oil. In the heat we have here 100 + at 2500 miles both my bikes start to sound like they need an oil change. They run fine they just get noisy. Oil is cheap compared to engine parts. The bottom line is you can't carry everything you could possible need, you just have to do the most logical preventative stuff before you go and wing it from there. Don't get in a hurry and just enjoy the adventure no matter what happens. I'm old so I stretch every 100 miles and at 300 miles I'm about done for the day. I can go further, but I try not to. I'm old my friends are old, we get there when we get there, we stop when we feel like it, and we are never in a hurry except when we are 10 miles from home, and a hot shower
Tom youre the fucking man thats awesome to know! i plan on starting in november follow my instagram is probaly the best way to keep tabs. I plan on shooting film mostly and the digital that i do shoot wont get edited or uploaded to anything till the end of the trip.
RichardG, Im not that old but that is how im tryin to do it. Ive driven cross country a few time hastily and dont want to do thatshit this time!

Back