I'm Leaking Oil Something Fierce

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I've been putting off tearing my engine down for a year now (since I got the bike). Now it looks like I'm going to have to accelerate my plans for tearing down the engine. I'm leaking oil pretty bad...so bad it is at the point that I don't think it'll be a good idea to ride until I solve the leak problem. It started as a few drops from somewhere low. It would happen after a ride then stop. I would "solve" the problem with shoving a piece of cardboard under the bike to soak up the oil and just monitor the oil level religiously. Now I'm at the point that I think I'm down about 1/4 of a quart...even though I haven't rode for over a week.

Question: What is the most likely culprit for a leak in the lower part of the engine. It is coming from the left side cover or at least very very near the left side cover. I have put in a new counter shaft seal and clutch pushrod seal. Is it possible for the clutch pushrod bushing to be so bad that oil leaks a lot?

This is on my '83 Heritage Special.

Thanks guys.

If the pushrod bushing is bad, even a new seal won't work. The rod will have too much side to side play. Switching to the long rod helps a lot because it moves side to side less than the short original. There's also a shift shaft seal under there and the big seal that the starter motor sticks into. That starter motor one can leak very badly once it goes. Also check that your countershaft sprocket nut hasn't come loose. That seal will leak like crazy if the nut is not tight.

I'll double check the countershaft sprocket nut. I'm pretty sure it is tight but I'll give it another look. I did upgrade to the one piece clutch pushrod when I got the bike.

I will be getting a repair manual (probably from 650central) to do this job. Be prepared for some questions from me though.

I was not aware of the shift shaft seal. I'll take a look at the online parts manual and see if I have one in my parts supply. I had ordered the seal kit from mikes over the winter and that could be in there. Any idea if I can replace the shift shaft seal without taking the engine down?

Thanks.

^It's probably most likely the nut, because they do work loose and when they do it causes a leak.

I don't think the oil comes from between the seal and metal. I think the oil comes from between the inside of the sleeve and the front sprocket. The seal seals the other side of the sleeve, the outside. The only thing that keeps the oil from running out the sleeve "pipe" is the sprocket 'lid" so the nut has to be tightly pressing the 'lid" on.

That nut being loose also means your front sprocket is loose, something you want to fix now.

Also, it might be worth the trouble to pull your alternator and check your crankshaft seal. They can be replaced in situ, and I can show you how to do it if need be.

TC

You don't have to pull all kinds of parts off unless you're an idiot savant mechanic (like my buddy). Just remove the left cover and really LOOK. My buddy tore his left side all apart, put a new gasket on the starter gear cover WITH Yamabond against my strong protests - and it still leaks like the Exxon Valdez. I took one quick look, cover still on, saw oil running down over the OUTSIDE of the starter gear cover, and knew it was a countershaft or shifter seal. He can't see it, still can't. Maybe he's just an idiot, lol. The "savant" part was giving him too much credit.

Just getting everything in there good and clean will help you "see" where the leak is.
Leo

Back