I'm on the side of the road. (pls help)

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Posting this from my iPhone. Anyways I am making a little trip and the first 50 miles went great. The bike has started to miss and lose power. I pulled over at a gas station and checked everything out and it seems fine. I got back on the raid and the bile runs great for a few miles and then starts missing. It feels like I am out of gas and need to switch to reserve. I pull over again and I figure my fuel cap might not be venting. So I leave it open and take off. A few miles later same thing happens.

I am thinking it might be a shot battery/charging system and the TCI advance isn't working. Or my carbs have something in them blocking the fuel.

I did just paint my tank. Some overspray might have gotten in the tank. I have a fuel filter though so I don't think that's the problem.

Could the bike be overheating? It's weird since it stalls then I let it sit for a few minutes, then it works great for a few miles.

Hello this is OnStar. Our sensors tell us you're experiencing difficulties on the road. Please ride with your petcock set to "prime" and see if things are better. Thank you for letting us be of assistance.

The OnStar Team

drain some fuel out of a float bowl (or both?) Is the headlight bright? shit can the filter, see if it helps.

Have a look at the fuse panel. Those clips that hold the glass fuses are old and make poor electrical contact. If the ignition fuse or the main fuse is making poor contact, that could be your problem.

I was able to nurse her home. She actually performed great under 60. I stuck to the back roads and cruised home at 50 just fine.

So I think something is clogged. It just can't pull enough gas for <60. I will check the filter and the petcock tomorrow. If there is nothing there then I will go to town with some carb cleaner and see if those carbs have any foreign objects.

Don't take this as gospel, as I'm new to xs650's.

The guy I bought mine from was the original owner, and the bike was well maintained.

He told me that it would run great for an hour or so, but then would "lose power". Aside from a light cleaning, and adjustment the only problem I can find with the bike is the rotor seems to be shot. I can get 12V all day, but nowhere near the 14.5 I should get.

Take a close look at the electrical system.

I think I figured it out. I had installed a filter between the carbs and it was making the fuel line do a 90 degree bend, pinching off the fuel. It was getting enough fuel for around town but not enough for the freeway.

Back