in over my head painting

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got all the parts off (fenders, tank, chain guard etc..) immediatley ran into a problem that no one could answer. What do you do with the chrome? Can you sand it and paint over it? Also what kind of paint does everyone recomend, I have acces to a cup gun to spray it or should I just use the rattle can and any certain primer?

I know you can sand blast the chrome but I do not want to pay to have it done so I'm hoping there is another way of doing it.

Last edited:
Rough it up with some 180 grit sand paper to give it some keying, then get some metal etch primer and then paint it as usual.

I think the only way you are going to get enough tooth it to sand blast the chrome, but you have to have somebody that knows what they are doing. It takes a lot of preasure to remove chrome so you can really warp sheet metal if your not careful.

Take it to a chrome shop
It should cost very little to get it stripped off since they just drop it in a tank with no extra effort.

Posted via Mobile

Believe it or not I have used high temp paint for headers on chrome after sanding it. NOW.....if you sand it you have to sand it with something like 600 grit. If you are painting a metallic it must be 800 because your sand scratches will show up. Make sure that you clkean it as well as possible. If you do not have wax and grease remover use thinner or even glass cleaner. Apply it in small light coats which is better than one heavy one. I did this with some parts for flat black and later decided to paint them and could NOT even get the black off. It works trust me. Good Luck.

Back