indicator switch blowing fuse

1976xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright the yellow/red and red/yellow are going into power.
the black is earthed. The brown and green are going to the indicators and the brown with a white stripe is going to the flasher unit. That is connected to power and that unit is earthed.

the bike turns on horns and lights work but when i use the switch to turn the inicators on it blows the fuse.

Have i got the wires hooked up wrong?
:wtf:
Ive tried it without the flasher and it lights up the bulb for about a second and blows.

Any advice or where ive gone wrong ill be stoked to hear it

Thanks!

I won't be of much help on this, but have you checked for shorts? Double check that no wires are crossing (terminals touching), make sure all wire connectors are tight, and that all grounds are properly grounded. Clean all contacts and add a little dielectric grease.
You may have a wire crossed on the relay. But I would start to look for any cuts/burnt wires etc. which may be grounding on the frame somewhere.

When looking for your short you can replace the fuse with a light bulb if you have an old socket and bulb kicking around. Modify the 2 wires of the socket to plug into the fuse contacts and it repaces the fuse. Now as you search for the short the light will be on as it's the load in the circuit. When you find or unplug the short, or the section of harness with the short in it, the light will go out as you took away the path to ground. An old headlight bulb will work for this purpose. It is a little easier on the spare fuses when searching for shorts.

thanks for that mate yeah theres a few fuses lieing on the floor now. I'm in the process of re-wiring the bike so most of the wires are new now but something might be touching.

its all good until the indicator switch is used.

Thanks for your help!

what wiring harness are you using? on a 76 a R/Y (ignition switch) goes from PARK key posistion (when it gets power) to headlight ON/OFF switch to light tail lamps... shouldn't have anything to do with the turn signals

ember, that is genius. right up there with sliced bread.
Is it all years that you have to run a ground from that area to the frame? Cant ground to the trees?

On the 76 the left side controls have the headlight dimmer switch, the turn signal switch and the horn button.
The headlight dimmer switch has three wires, one yellow, a blue/black and a dark green.
The blue/black is power in from the headlight on/off switch. The yellow is power out on high beam, the dark green is power out on low beam.
The turn signal switch has three wires, a brown/white, a chocolate, a dark green.
The brown/white is power in from the flasher. The chocolates is power out to the left turn signals, dark green to right.
The horn button has a pink wire. It goes to the horn.
There black wire on the housing is to ground the handle bars so the horn and start buttons work.
There is no red/yellow or yellow red wires.
The right side switches are the headlight on/off and engine stop switch and start button.
The headlight on off switch has three wires, a blue/black, a blue and a red/yellow.
The engine stop switch has two wires, brown and red/white. some used two R/W some brown and yellow.
The starter button has a blue/white wire.
The headlight switch, red/yellow is the power in from the key switch. The blue/black is power out to the dimmer switch. Blue is power out the the tail light and dash lights.
The Engine stop switch has two wires, it don't really matter what the colors, one is power in from the switch, the other power to the ignition, and safety relay.
You asked not to be directed to a wiring diagram, is this because you can't read or understand diagrams? Lots of people have a hard time with them. lots of info in a small space. Colored diagrams are better. There are several colored diagrams in the TECH section.
Recheck your wiring.
On the turns, power comes off the main power wire on the bike, this is the brown wire. The brown wire feeds power to the flasher, from the flasher on the brown/white wire. Then to the signals.
If you are blowing fuses when you turn on the signals you have a dead short at the switch or in the wiring to the lights.
Again recheck the wires, pinched or bare wires, bad bulb sockets.
Leo

the yellow red go to the base of the switch and the red yellow are to the pass light

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4519.jpg
    IMG_4519.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 81
wiring harness has been replaced just stock switches now, yeah slowly getting my head around the diagrams just as far as i could see it looked to be right

thanks for the replies

Gday guys, It clicked after i posted that pic. im assuming the PO put that wire there?? got them working! THANKS!!!!!

its good having a reliable source of knowledge!

I think I see the problem, those are not a 76 set of switches. Those are 77 switches. The red/yellow wire is for the self canceleing unit or SCU, that they started using in 77.
Just ignore that wire. It works with the SCU and a reed switch in the 77 up speedo to turn the turns off after a certain time and distance.
I think it works like this.
Power is fed to the SCU on the brown wire, When you turn the signals on the red/yellow wire gets grounded, this tells the SCU to send power out on the green/yellow wire to the flasher, from there to the turn switch that starts the signals flashing.
When you release the turn switch knob it returns to center. not the switch itself.
The signals flash for as long as the SCU determines it should.
It uses a reed switch in the speedo to determine distance and an internal clock the determine time. It changes the time according to speed. When the SCU determines it's time to shut the turns of it stops sendind power out on the green/yellow wire. This stops the signals from flashing.
If you want to shut the turns off before the SCU does you just push the button in and it resets the turn switch to the center and the signals stop flashing.
So instead of studying the 76 diagram you should have been looking at a 77 diagram.
Unless some po put the 77 switches on the 76 and didn't change the harness to.
Anyway, if you have stripped out the harness and are simplifing it, then all this doesn't matter.
When you get the wiring done up to getting the turns to work just ignore the red/yellow wire.
Just use the brown/white as power into the turn switch, power out on the dark green and chocolate wires.
Leo

Back