Initial Dilemna--13/34 VS 17/34 Final Drive

Belle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay, so the other day I mentioned to someone a 17:34 final was too small; for me it is. I received a 13 tooth front sprocket today & took a close look to substantiate my fears as to why it won't work.

First off--13t is ~6.13mm in width & 17t is ~8.88mm

Secondly--13t has ~74mm diameter & 17t is ~92mm

Thirdly--530 chain lightly rubbed assembly unit (retainer washer & bolts); I ground the washer a little & the chain ran smooth through the hills but the bolts are hex sided & push against the chain, that's trouble, maybe with some allen head bolts it would run more smooth. I tried with some from the side cover but wasn't happy enough with the clearance; still a little rubby, & I don't want to spend the money or time right now to cut it back & get it just right.

The spindle mated just fine & I think with a 14t I can get the trouble free clearance I desire. Spacing/alignment was difficult due to the width differences but I used some
1" ID washers and chopped a shim from some old sheet metal to get the mock-up & it all seemed to align well enough.

I'm gonna order a 14t, should get that in about 7-10 days.

All-in-all seems possible.

14:34= ~2.43:1 final drive

Putting that small a front on will make pulling wheelies easy. Won't get much top end though. instead of about 3800 rpm at 60 mph you will get around 4500 rpms at that speed. Are you sure you want that. Most go the other way to lower rpms at speed.
Leo

Back