Installing internal metal bushings for advance rod on 82 motor?

calebxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm swapping out my 72 motor for an 82. In order to swap over my Pamco I'll need to install bushings on each side for the advance rod.

I read here that I can use three metal bushings instead of the labyrinth seals -- and that I should be able to install them by hand.

The bushings that I received from Mikes seem like they'd need to be pressed into the cam. Are there any tricks to installing these? I was thinking of using a threaded rod and a big washer to push them in but I wanted to check with the experts first!

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:
You are correct, they need to be pressed in. I used a similar sized socket and lightly tapped them in with a mallet. Use lubricantion of course, don't force them in if they feel to tight. You'll have a problem you don't want if they are to tight. Throw them in the freezer for a couple hours before you press them in.

Be sure to thoroughly clean out the bearing bores in the '82 cam. There's never been anything in there and they could be quite crusty, even rusted. If the bushing fit is too tight, you can crack the end of the cam.

YES great caution needed here. IMHO when Yamaha drop the points they stopped reaming the cam ID to accept the bushings. (it's also possible the mikesXS bushings are just a bit oversize on the OD) So on your cam 82 the hole is a bit small, forcing the bushings in often results in a cracked flange on the left side, It doesn't really hurt anything but your pride, but it sure makes for an Oh smuck moment. Probably should ream the cam ID to better fit the bushings or chuck the bushings in a drill press and sand them down a bit. micrometers or at least a caliper to check for a LIGHT interference fit.

Could you cut a slot diagonally around the bushing to allow it to press in? like a slit bushing, such as the clutch pushrod bushing. This would allow it to be a slip fit. And the rod should spin in the bushing as it should,
On the later engines I have installed them in the went a bit stiff but didn't slit the cam. They did need a bit of fitting before the rod spun freely. I use valve lapping compound and coated the rod and spun it through the bushings. Did it a bit, removed the rod, cleaned it off, lubed and checked for free spinning. Repeat as need to get clearance.
The bushings that come with Pamco's e-advancer are cut just a bit smaller and left with a rough surface. This lets the fit the looser later cam, yet still fit the older tighter cams. These install very easy.
Leo

Back