Installing Right Side cover, Sealing sugestions

blue900

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am about ready to put the Right side cover back on. It had the original gasket no sealer. It did have some small oil seepage but no drips other than the seals. What shall i do? Just the gasket, or Thin black silicon, soft permatex. I want to do it the best way. You guys that have taken it off more than once what is best.
I have the Start spring Clip retention-ed and gasket & seals should be here Monday.
Thanks for your experiences with this.
Ron

cleaning the mating surfaces and a new gasket should do fine. Typical leaks are from old gaskets that have been in there for years, or disturbed. Put it in dry, tighten it up, and oil will permeate a bit into it once the engine runs for a bit, and make it expand, thus making a perfect seal.

- i use a gasket, use a little gasket cement on the cover side when using a new gasket, seals it to the cover and makes it easier to get off and is sometimes reuseable, means the case is easier to clean, any damage to the gasket will mean replacement

Many different ways to skin a cat.........On most gaskets I cover both sides with never seize. I've never had a leak...........Pieces always come off easily & the gaskets are almost always reuseable.

Tip, gaskets usually come in those nice plastic bags, split the bag down the sides, and you've got a nice work surface for painting on the never seize, without getting it all over the place!

2nd tip, I throw the lid with the brush away as soon as I get all the never seize off it and use a artists brush, uses much less & much easier to use!

Yeah that's the gear, I use Loctite brand, nickel. Copper would be fine too. I need nickel for other stuff, so that's what I have around.

Of course while I'm at it, I use it on the bolts also!

Thanks all for the input.
I will try yamaman's Anti-seize Route i like the no stick Idea!

Now Snow Go away to the Mountains. So i can get excited about the ride that is soon coming.
The Commute was not fun this morning even with studded snow tires on the Cage.

Back