Insuring a Chopper in Canada

501Spanky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How did my fellow Canucks describe their hardtailed, home built choppers to the insurance company?
Bone stock 1983 Heritage Special?
1983 Yamaha XS650 with slight modification?

Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Thanks!

I told them what I did to the bike. I then had to get a safety inspection and an appraisal for the insurance company and I was good to go. I know some people lie about what theyve done to their bikes but im pretty sure if you get in a wreck youre screwed.

Posted via Mobile

No worries! I don't know what the laws in ontario are but I had to take my fork brace off and put my front fender back on and wire a horn in. I just threw my brace back on after. The guy that inspected it was pretty easy going about it. He didnt care about my sideways plate and a few other small things too.

Posted via Mobile

Might be best to chat with someone who build choppers professionally. A local guy tried building a custom 82 Katana by putting an 1100 motor into a 750 frame which is a direct bolt in mod. He was even upgrading the frame by strengthening it using well known methods developed over the past 30 years,but no one would insure it. He also had to prove the frame was welded by a professional welder. It turned out to be such a nightmare, he abandoned it and sold off all the parts.

Back