Intermittent electrical issue, bike dies when placed in gear....

mrpink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been happening ever since I got the bike a while back- lately it has become more annoying.

Bike starts, idles, revs fine. Pull the kickstand, squeeze the clutch, put it in first- dies. Does this over and over, but only when the bike is cold or just started after sitting for an hour or so. After that, goes into and out of neutral just fine. Sometimes it will only do it once or twice, other times, more recently it seems like 5-10 times before it decides it will cooperate and run. Clutch is properly adjusted to my knowledge (just did it last week).

This is an '83 Heritage Special, it seems to have some electrical connector running into the clutch lever (mikesXS calls it a Safe-T switch)... I am wondering if it, or the kickstand kill switch is sticking- can I simply bypass eithr or both of these "Safe-T" features? If so, what would be the simplest way to do that?

Thanks, site rocks.

p!nK

on most bikes those are normally open switches. If that is true on the xs650's then just cut the wires and tape the ends and your good. On another bike I had I just cut the kickstand safety as far bake to the electrical box as I could to get rid of the wires and capped em then took the switch off at the stand and chunked it.

never actually heard of a clutch safety switch.

The 82 and 83 models had the sidestand and the neutral interlocked. You must be in neutral or sidestand up, or the interlock disables the TCI (kills ignition). You can simply unplug the sidestand relay to check if this is the problem. Relay has 4 wires.................red/white, blue/yellow, black, and black/white.

If you want to keep the interlock, then repair/adjust the sidestand switch.

If you want to keep the interlock, then repair/adjust the sidestand switch.

I don't want to keep this, anyone know how to bypass it or point me in the direction of a wiring schematic to figure it out myself? I have a Clymers, but it only covers years up to 80 I think- works for 95% of repairs, just this is a 5%'er I guess.

p!nK

mrpink,

Read the post again. retirerdgentleman has provided the answer, but you have to read the post to benifit from his help.

mrpink,

Read the post again. retirerdgentleman has provided the answer, but you have to read the post to benifit from his help.

I did read his post. The solution was the bypass and remove the switch all together by locating the two wire connector coming from it and jumpering the two wires (blue/black and black). The switch was missing one bolt and the other was barely threaded in with the phillips head rounded out. Not sure if the switch is bad or not but it surely was not operating properly.

Adjusted my valves and cam chain tensioner while I had it up on the center stand.

Thanks

p!nK

mrpink,

Read it again. You only have to remove the sidestand relay. No rewiring required. He gave you the color of the wires to the relay for identification purposes. :banghead:

mrpink,

Read it again. You only have to remove the sidestand relay. No rewiring required. He gave you the color of the wires to the relay for identification purposes. :banghead:

yep.. that worked also. :doh:

now it is really disabled.

p!nK

Back