internal throttle & clutch question

stevec8831

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done or seen a internal throttle & clutch used on a set of z-bars? I have never used internal assemblies before and I'm not sure if the z-bars have too much bend in them for the cables to work right. Or should I just go with a set of drag bars? :bike:

Wow, I remember running just wiring in some Zs long ago, nightmare. Super-sharp corners in there. 2 corners each side.
Had to make sacrifice to some pagan god just to complete...

Wow, I remember running just wiring in some Zs long ago, nightmare. Super-sharp corners in there. 2 corners each side.
Had to make sacrifice to some pagan god just to complete...

I blow some heavy string through the bars first using an air supply. Then tape the wires on the end, tie on the string and pull them through. I'm not worried about getting the cables through. I'm just worried if the bends are too sharp and then end up affecting the cable working correctly.

i cant seem to find it, but not too long ago i went through someones build thread who did it with no problems or so they say. it was done due to a bet. if i come across it ill put up a link.

Easiest way to know, is try making a throttle cable bend as sharply as the bars you want... chances are, a 90deg bend on a short radius will destroy it.

I've never done an internal throttle/clutch on an Xs but have on a handful of big engine chops....a nut tied to heavy test fish line will roll through the bars and fall out the exit hole. Easy enough to pull what you need through now. I use mountain bike cables for the internal cable part...the are super flexible and cheap even for a really high end cable.

Back