iridium plugs

rickieh

XS650 Owner
Reaction score
650 central AND mikesxs claim a 2hp gain just by screwing these in...i doubt it,anyone tried them?:shrug:

I have tried them, but like any other tool, they're the "right tool for the right job"; some here feel that any of their benefit is lost on a wasted spark system, such as ours. Do a search on "wasted spark" and "iridium" and you may turn up some hopefully helpful material.

Having said this, no plug will be of optimal value unless your charging and ignition systems (particularly coil(s)) are top flight. Also, be careful of using iridium plugs without using a correspondingly stout coil(s) and wires/caps, as your bike's start-up and cold performance will suffer, since iridiums need more juice to fire and need to be hot to perform optimally. (I learned this through first-hand experience during a SSSA (Spontaneous Self-Stupidity Assessment). :p

TC

Here is a chart of a series of runs I did with my '81/H. The final run was with the iridiums and you can see an increase is gas mileage. If you increase gas mileage without adjusting the mixture leaner, then you will also gain some Horse Power because the engine is working more efficiently. 2 horsepower increase would not be out of the question. In this case I actually increased the main jet size.

iridium.jpg

Note: I do not sell spark plugs.

hi guys... i,d probably run these plugs purely for no fouling,,, but at the moment its not a problem ... ,,,,,,in australia my local guys want $28 each... so i will be buying some frome mikes when i order some other must have items regards oldbiker

hi guys... i,d probably run these plugs purely for no fouling,,, but at the moment its not a problem ... ,,,,,,in australia my local guys want $28 each... so i will be buying some frome mikes when i order some other must have items regards oldbiker

Ouch! $28 each... I get them locally in the states for about $7 each at my local auto parts store. I wonder how much it would cost and how long it would take if I were to buy some here and send them over.

in my '80 I'm running the irridiums with the Part #17-6803 high-output TCI replacement coil. Rigged up wires with MSD SuperConductor bulk wire, right now I'm testing them with a .050" gap, so far so good. Just about to take another mileage run today :D
E

edit: ~46mpg today

Last edited:
I have experience using these (IW-27's usually) plugs in XS6650-based race engines, and I can say with complete confidence they are the absolute best plug available ... never foul, don't need adjustment, no misfires even at 11+ compression ratio.
Also use them in RZ350 street bike. Same deal ... never foul, fire today's crappy, water-laden gas just fine and never need adjustment nor cleaning.
I change them out once a year just because.

Just put them in a '75 engine, BUB 2into2, jetted BS34's. I like them. It runs stronger, and smoother. It's the smoother part I like the most, especially at low rmp. I would not be surprised if it did pick up a couple of hp.
whynot 2

Update: finally got the carbs tuned well. 56.4mpg last night on the city freeways. There's so much power from the ignition I really can't get the bike to idle under about 1,600rpm once it's warm. Final jetting is 47.5 pilot, 147.5 main, Heiden needles in 2nd slot.

I dropped em into my more or less (at the time) stock 74, cus they were the only ones I could find at crappy tire that would fit.

They haven't fouled in 4 months unlike the regular ones.

I have an almost bone stock 81 with the AC AP63 plugs, platinum tips on the center electrode. Last fill up got 59 mpg. About $5 a pair at Wal Mart.
The only thing not stock is the air filters. The ones in it the filter element crumbled apart. Cleaned them off and wrapped with one layer of green foam that went around the airfilter in my old garden tractor. Foam wetted with 50-50 mix motor oil, gas.
Runs well, maybe a bit lean. Ought to do a bit of carb work. The idle mix screw plugs are still intact.
Leo

Update: finally got the carbs tuned well. 56.4mpg last night on the city freeways. There's so much power from the ignition I really can't get the bike to idle under about 1,600rpm once it's warm. Final jetting is 47.5 pilot, 147.5 main, Heiden needles in 2nd slot.

high idle has nothing to do with "power from the ignition"....air leak or advance problems or carbs out of sync

If your bike is fouling plugs, it's not the stock spec plug at fault, there's a problem with your bike. I've never fouled a normal NGK in my 650 or any of my 4 strokes, 2 strokes yes, but never in a 4 stroke.

If your bike is fouling plugs, it's not the stock spec plug at fault, there's a problem with your bike. I've never fouled a normal NGK in my 650 or any of my 4 strokes, 2 strokes yes, but never in a 4 stroke.

DITTO that. Never fouled a plug in my 4 stroke bikes.

DLD1

high idle has nothing to do with "power from the ignition"....air leak or advance problems or carbs out of sync

I checked all that, all that is good. The only change I did make that caused the idle speed to increase was gapping the plugs to .050". Kung-Fu coil, copper MSD wires, NGK Iridium plugs. I only changed one thing at a time, and that was plug gap.

It starts like a dream, idles clean, pulls HARD to redline, and gets good mileage on a race cam. I'm not changing anything because my idle is 400rpm fast. :D

EK

I'm not changing anything because my idle is 400rpm fast. :D

EK

It's cool it's running so well but the idle speed stops have no effect on anything but the idle speed. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything by fixing the idle rpm.

I can stick a feeler gauge between the idle speed stop and the idle screw... I'm straight out of downward adjustment on my idle speed. It's not that I don't WANT to decrease it, it's that I CAN'T get it any lower. If you think of somehow that I might be able to, I've tried it. no exceptions. ;)

Have you had the throttle shafts out of the carbs? If so you might not have gotten them back in right and they can't close completely.
Leo

Back