Is a key needed on a batteryless setup...need input

dunnroadmafia

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am at the stage of wiring up my lil chopper, it has a hughs pma and pamco with a sparx capacitor. I plan on running a bar mounted kill switch, so do i need a key? Since theres no battery to drain i think i dont, but would the capacitor do any damage anywhere across the pamco or reg/rec if the output wasnt switched?

I am at the stage of wiring up my lil chopper, it has a hughs pma and pamco with a sparx capacitor. I plan on running a bar mounted kill switch, so do i need a key? Since theres no battery to drain i think i dont, but would the capacitor do any damage anywhere across the pamco or reg/rec if the output wasnt switched?

You should be able to omit the key, as long as you use the kill switch to shut off the ignition. You would need to have a headlight switch/tail light switch, in order to have only the ignition as a load when kicking to start the engine.

ok thanks, i kinda figured i wouldnt want any draw (lights) on the system while kicking it over, but i have read that people can kick it with lights on, either way ill most likely put a switch in just for the ease of starting

I'm with retiredgentleman, no need for a key, as long as the kill switch interrupts the circuit. I have a Sparx fixed to my bike - it's not wired in yet. I've been running on a battery so far. How did you wire-in your Sparx, dunnroadmafia?

Anlaf

Actually i have yet to wire the bike up completely just waiting on some parts for mock up. I plan on wiring it in as i have seen across the forum, black to ground and an input from the reg/rec and an output to the rest of the bikes "main" harness.

That's the obvious way to me, too, bunnraodmafia - but a few of the guys have had a Sparx explode on them because they wired it incorrectly - black to ground looks correct but Sparx were made to replace old British bikes that have POSITIVE EARTH or GROUND. I just want the definitive version of which way round those wires go - I'm hoping one of the guys will know.

Anlaf

Key not needed, but i'd kinda always be nervous of a bike riding away without me if it didnt have a key. i know, they are easy enough to take anyway, but i get some peace of mind. as for looks, its easy enough to hide a key switch.

I mentioned it because i thought of doing the same thing on my build. Decided that no matter how hidden the switch is, nothing beats feeling a key in your pocket.

You can wire any bike, with or without a battery, without a key. Easiest way to do it would be to use your hi/lo switch if you have it for a on/off/on switch and wire in the tail light. Then use a (on)/on/off switch for the actual ignition.

Edit: You don't need a momentary switch if you don't have a battery and starter, just a regular on/off in which case the kill switch if you still have it will work perfectly.

dunnroadmafia the Sparx has one black wire connector (yes, I am going with that for earth), but two red wire connectors - one is the IN from the reg/rect, and the other OUT to the main circuit (fuse, ignition switch etc). Is that how you have yours planned?

ANLAF

I am going to mount a "hidden" toggle switch on my kick only project when the time comes. Saves looking for the key. Some people feel more secure if they have a key.
If someone wants to steal it bad enough they will load it in a pickup and drive away.
Also going to mount a toggle to shut off all lights until bike is running.

Lools like we are on the right track - I found this. Apologies, guys, I didn't male a note of the name, but one of the fellers was talking to Hugh a good while back and this pic was in the thread.

ANLAF

Attachments

• 6951650971_3312206714_z.jpg
    6951650971_3312206714_z.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 108
Back