Is it just me?

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have lately been stuck in the house for about a month, and getting little sleep. So I entertain myself by searching motorcycles all over the country on Craigslist. I've heard it's a so-so place to buy stuff from because of so many scammers. It has dawned on me that a huge number of bikes, some decent, are being offered with no title. What do you think, people who stuff them away for several years of neglect are the same types too disorganized to keep track of paperwork, or selling with the bank sitting on the title? Stolen? I'd be a bit afraid of such a bike unless I just wanted parts, cause you never know. Or is this just the norm anymore, they can't be bothered to get a replacement title?

In Maine, no title required for vehicles 1994 and older, so 650's are all fair game.

Usually grossly overpriced IMHO, but out there.

here in OHIO you need a title for every thing now even a 3 or 4 wheeler,new or old
just the states way to make more money, and it takes a cort order to get a title if you don't have one,if you the titled owner it ez just get a copy from the title co. if your not
you have to go the the corts and ask for one and prove you got it legally

In Maine, no title required for vehicles 1994 and older, so 650's are all fair game.

I always wondered what happens when you move and take your vehicle from Maine to a more restrictive state. In Maine do you get some kind of paperwork that's supposed to trade for a title in other states? Or can you obtain a Maine title without much trouble, but it just isn't necessary?

IN OHIO you just take the bike to a car dealer and have a title inspection the just make sure the vin number is the same on the bike and title then take the paper to the title co. and have a ohio title made.

Here in Iowa I can get a provisional title. They check the vin to be sure it's not stolen, then give you a title that could be challenged within 3 years. If nothing happens, they change it to a regular title. I'm just shocked at the number of bikes out there without titles. Several states don't raise too much fuss over bikes after a certain age. I think New Hampshire is one of them after it's 15 years old.

I sold one of my bikes to a guy in L.A. The registration that I sent with the bike gets turned in to the dmv,and then a title is issued. At least that is what the guy told me.

I live in a state that requires a title. I will not consider buying any vehicle without one. If the bike was ever stolen in the past and it turns up in your garage you can be hurting. It's kinda hard to explain to the cops where the bike came from if it doesn't have a title.

Why are so many bikes without titles? Most likely it is because the owner either does not want to pay the back taxes on it, lost the title and is afraid or is too lazy to go to the court house to get a duplicate, or it is stolen and the owner knows it.

I have found that bikes without titles are not in the best of condition to begin with. I try to buy bikes with a good ownership history and they usually are in better condition overall.

I buy both kinds, untitled bikes is where the used parts come from..... I might get scared buying a late model with no title, but bikes that have been sitting in the barn for 30 years? not a problem.
Speaking of which.... Weaselbeak: I just got a dead TX750 from a kid who got it free from a neighbor who dragged it home from it from his (now dead) uncle. No title, naturally. The plate on it is a 1976 Iowa plate, bike was over by the river (Wisco side) A provisional Iowa title sounds like a very good thing........

Also Wisconsin no longer sends the owner a title if there is a lien on the vehicle. The lender holds title, but usually doesn't get any "paper". When the lien is is recorded as paid in full with the state, THEN the state sends the owner a paper title. This makes private party transactions of used vehicles a bit dicey if there is an unpaid loan. The new owner has to wait as long as three weeks for paper, so if the buyer needs a loan to buy it............. You can't just close the sale at the lenders, get a lien release, grab the title and go.

Back