Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Well it took a week to actually get to look at something, ended up opting for the bench mill. Pleasant discovery upon examination, machine is little used and very tight, also already wired for 110 VAC.
Don't pick it up till this weekend, ordered base cabinet from MSC last night with expected arrival by Friday. Give me chance to set up spot in my garage/shop before I take delivery. Will need to rent or borrow engine hoist though to get it off trailer and onto base when I get it home

It will do :)
DrillPress.jpg

Looking for opinions, have opportunity to buy old Bridgeport mill, for which I wouldn't have to repower or get a phase generator for $3k or a newish MSC/Rong Fu mill that's single phase for $1500.
Needless to say I would prefer the B'port but it will require work and extra expense, take up more room in my already crowded garage, I can mount the MSC on my bench and it's usable as is

I used a rong Fu in the past and it worked just fine. I’m actually on the hunt for one at the moment.

As for the BP. Seems expensive to me. I see decent ones for 1500-2000 all the time.

I used a rong Fu in the past and it worked just fine. I’m actually on the hunt for one at the moment.

As for the BP. Seems expensive to me. I see decent ones for 1500-2000 all the time.
I had a long battle with a R45. I won, but at a cost.
Getting it square and level was only half the battle. Keeping it square was a nightmare.
It got sold basically for the price of its tooling.

It will be forever remembered as "Wrong Foo" .

A BP for $1,500-$2,000 ? Can't buy a J2 head for that around here.
The last budget BP I found turned into a near yearlong scraping ordeal.
In the end it was worth it because the man that bought it brought his own dial and test indicators.
He smiled and had absolute professionals show up the next day to move it.
Professionals, three of my millwright union brothers.

What an ordeal but finally got it set. Spent all Saturday trying to locate an engine hoist for rent. All of the places everyone told me rented them, auto parts stores. Home Depot , none of them did. Those places that would were all closed on Saturdays.
Sat down and thought if I knew anyone that had one I could borrow, one gut wouldn't loan his but another buddy told me, "Yeah, I've got one out back in my Sea Van"
Treated him to dinner Saturday night and we loaded it up in the back of his old Toyota P'up and hauled it to my place for the next morning "some assembly required"
Hoisted it off the trailer no problem, set it on a furniture dolly and wheeled it into my garage, then brought the the hoist in to lift it onto the stand.
The sprayed legs were just wide enough to clear the base and move in about 8", needed to go another 18" to set it down, Hmmmmm........
The stand base is 23" wide at the bottom for the first 3", then narrows to 16" up to the platform. Pulled out a bunch of scrap lumber and laid up runners on either side of the base, rolled the dolly with mill up to the front then raised the front wheels on the hoist onto the stacked runners and rolled it forward, lifted the mill enough to pull out the dolly then raised it up high enough to clear the platform.
Rolled it forward but that only got us another 15", still 3" short.
I put the bolts in the mill base, pushed the base forward just enough so that when he slowly lowered the mill the bolt went into the holes on the stand and he continued to lower the hoist. As it came down and began to level it rocked back and the rear bolts aligned with the holes and everything sat down fine.
Whew!!!!!!
Unhooked it, pulled the hoist back, removed the stacked runners and bolted the thing to the stand.
IMG_20230709_161218881.jpg

There were two. Brother got one. I got the other. Since my Benchmaster will be leaving his garage for my closet shop soon it seemed appropriate.
After all he paid for the material and supplied the fabrication of the mill stand and the lathe table.
Mistake I made was setting his on my drill press. It looked so good I went back and got the other.
Look past the surface rust and both have ways that appear unused.
Cleaning them up will be something of a "anything you can do ..." moment ;-)
drill_mill.jpg

We'll, have have finally had time to check out the MSC/Rong Fu mill and having noticed it has been knocked around a bit I expected and wasn't disappointed to discover the head was out of trim.
It only has side/side tilt adjustment so front/back trim I had to use some 12" long Starrett feeler stock to shim the front edge of the column base to get it in trim that way, took .006" to accomplish this. The side trim was easier.
Picked up an inexpensive 4" angle-lok type vice and mounted it.
Looking forward to actually trying it out

What an ordeal but finally got it set. Spent all Saturday trying to locate an engine hoist for rent. All of the places everyone told me rented them, auto parts stores. Home Depot , none of them did. Those places that would were all closed on Saturdays.
Sat down and thought if I knew anyone that had one I could borrow, one gut wouldn't loan his but another buddy told me, "Yeah, I've got one out back in my Sea Van"
Treated him to dinner Saturday night and we loaded it up in the back of his old Toyota P'up and hauled it to my place for the next morning "some assembly required"
Hoisted it off the trailer no problem, set it on a furniture dolly and wheeled it into my garage, then brought the the hoist in to lift it onto the stand.
The sprayed legs were just wide enough to clear the base and move in about 8", needed to go another 18" to set it down, Hmmmmm........
The stand base is 23" wide at the bottom for the first 3", then narrows to 16" up to the platform. Pulled out a bunch of scrap lumber and laid up runners on either side of the base, rolled the dolly with mill up to the front then raised the front wheels on the hoist onto the stacked runners and rolled it forward, lifted the mill enough to pull out the dolly then raised it up high enough to clear the platform.
Rolled it forward but that only got us another 15", still 3" short.
I put the bolts in the mill base, pushed the base forward just enough so that when he slowly lowered the mill the bolt went into the holes on the stand and he continued to lower the hoist. As it came down and began to level it rocked back and the rear bolts aligned with the holes and everything sat down fine.
Whew!!!!!!
Unhooked it, pulled the hoist back, removed the stacked runners and bolted the thing to the stand.
View attachment 246812
Congrats on the new addition! That’s a nice looking piece. Will be interested in how it performs.

Finally cleared some space and got everything set up to unload the beast. Borrowed an engine hoist from my buddy and it was easy enough to use the floor jack in the trailer to put it on the dolly’s. I had the footprint set up and I was amazed how easily everything went including the bolting up to the cabinets. I still have to sort my power out but it’s in place and ready to go. I also have several size chucks, tons of tooling, Yada Yada that’s going to need a home.IMG_6472.jpegIMG_6473.jpeg71269253951__D45835BA-B681-42B5-919C-8D2639349E0D.jpeg

Finally cleared some space and got everything set up to unload the beast. Borrowed an engine hoist from my buddy and it was easy enough to use the floor jack in the trailer to put it on the dolly’s. I had the footprint set up and I was amazed how easily everything went including the bolting up to the cabinets. I still have to sort my power out but it’s in place and ready to go. I also have several size chucks, tons of tooling, Yada Yada that’s going to need a home.View attachment 248386View attachment 248385View attachment 248387
Congratulations! Getting a new piece of machinery is exciting. Now you too can respond "Making chips" when folks ask you "Watcha doin?"

Warning, Im going to go all egghead and such on ya.
You may not want to read this until your second cup of whatever...

There are thus three equations for expressing the button diameter (bd), button spacing (bs) and infeed (if) in terms of the number of teeth (N), the module (M) and the pressure angle (p)

bd = NM Sin p

bs = NM (Cos p){ Sin (p + 90/N)}

inf = 1/2 M[ N Sin p - (N-2.314) + N (Cos p){Cos (p + 90/N)}]

so

for 21 ooth

Total infeed

Distance between centers

Diameter of cutters

So what I'm telling you is that if you were to trust a 2mm end mill in O1 or W1 steel you could easily make a single point cutter for 64 DP, 14.5*, 21T.

Yeah, I don't like it

find or make a wheel that will cut that 2.186268119mm and make a blank or six.
In the interest of time and hassle don't bother with constant profile relief unless you are a masochist, obsessive compulsive, or subscribe to old school practices of creating tooth relief. (it's in the previous links, ie: the setting the cutters prior to hardening sand temper trick. )

Cutting the tooth profile on the wheel is as easy as it looks.

What this also means is save those broken and or dull 2mm anything carbide. We already talked about single point involute cutting end mills. Handy for a crown gear that has a boss or hub extension on both sides.

If you don't want any part of this mess I'm really close to getting my tooling and machines up ;-)

Next is your modifonicated end mill. I may have an idea. It just depends on the OD of the end mill.
Actually it's the ID of the hub viewed from the outside and how much of a boss you want to leave.
I may have a way of making the center of an endmill disappear. Certainly in HSS and possibly in Carbide. I can do the HSS here but I'll have to go up the supply chain and see if the one company I know is still sintering tungsten carbide in house.

Now, depending on your setup there is one other way. Trepanning. I know either of us could make that cutter. Essentially a one tooth hole saw with relief. Note, I've been stealing the carbide tips off wood saw blades for these little tools for decades. Just another thing to think about ;-)

And correct, I don't usually find myself up at this hour but an odd set of circumstances and a bit of proper ale distorted my sleep schedule. Still I'll be on deck and conscious by 9:00 pip emma Pacific Time. That's noon for you wrong coast guys ;-)

So have fun with this
Cyas
All my hopes

http://professorguy.com/ideas/InvoluteCutterCutters.xlsx

Perhaps I’ll understand that one day….. Finally got off my ass and straightened out the main panel. The house was remodeled before we bought it and I have no idea how the contractors even knew what they were hooking into? I found sooooo many things that weren’t correct and kinda stupid. I’ve never really had to add anything to this point so I never really took a close look at it. I spent several hours with a power pen and running all over the house looking for circuits. In the end I found more room in my panel than I thought I had so a little re-arraigning and re-labeling and I had my power feed.IMG_6737.jpeg I also wanted to share a nice find. A neighbor asked if I wanted to go to a guys estate sale. OK, I’m always open at looking at tools. Lol I found this box. The label matches the one on the 50’s box my Dad gave me. Not bad for $40.IMG_6740.jpegIMG_6741.jpegIMG_6742.jpegIMG_6738.jpegIMG_6739.jpeg

Was gonna buy these, but I was cleaning up the disaster that's my basement right now, and ran across some 6061-T6 1-1/2" solid round. Stainless would'a been nicer... but no money spent is pretty nice... Right?

It's 35° with rain and sleet out there. What else am I gonna do?

1701569798785.png

1701569828609.png

Last edited:
Are you building a frame or are these for Halfmile's LSR build (curious minds love to know...)?
Phil and I both have a lifelong dream of building a LSR bike. About a year ago someone from Oz or NZ posted some pics of the bike he built. Ever since, every time Phil and I get together, that's pretty much all we've talked about. Phil has already started his and.... well, ya don' think I'm gonna let him have all the fun, do you? :whistle:

1701625747728.png

Phil and I both have a lifelong dream of building a LSR bike. About a year ago someone from Oz or NZ posted some pics of the bike he built. Ever since, every time Phil and I get together, that's pretty much all we've talked about. Phil has already started his and.... well, ya don' think I'm gonna let him have all the fun, do you? :whistle:

View attachment 256533

I know there are endless classes…

What class are you guys looking to enter?

Back