mjamusic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can tell if my chain looks off by a tooth? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 216
two many what i was asking was his cam timing is retarded there right ?
my question was, cant you get better performance by advancing cam timng ?

two many what i was asking was his cam timing is retarded there right ?
my question was, cant you get better performance by advancing cam timng ?

Yeah, in the original pic, the cam is retarded. Pre-advancing the cam a few degrees is a debatable practice. Usually gives good low-rpm performance, then over time the cam timing is in spec, hi-rpm performance starts improving. A fair long-term street commuter strategy, not good for racing...

ok just wondering, my friend was telling me to advance my cam timing instead my ignition timing it would somehow give me higher compression ? i didnt believe him.

does the same go for ignition timing, if advanced can give you better low-rpm performance ?

...does the same go for ignition timing, if advanced can give you better low-rpm performance ?

No, not really. Ideally, ignition timing will give best performance when adjusted to match a plethora of conditions, like fuel type, altitude, temperature, rpm, manifold vacuum, ...etc. In days long gone, some bikes had a twist-grip spark advance, and you would simultaneously retard the ignition while applying throttle to get best acceleration, then reduce throttle and advance timing to get cooler running and best mileage. Good carbs, like Holley, had a 'timed port' located near the low throttle position of the butterfly plate, and its vacuum signal would control the vacuum advance of the distributor. Poorly- informed fellows would connect the distributor's vacuum line to the intake manifold, get the wrong vacuum signal, and get strange performance problems. Modern systems use a batch of sensors and a factory designed lookup table to determine spark advance. This info could fill a book, in fact, it does...

thanks two many, when i install my 256 cam ill just install it normally that should give me enough performane. looks like i have to sale my megacycle adjustable sprocket now

Back