Is there any interest in High Ratio Primary Gears

riksoto

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a bid of $700 for High Ratio Primary Gear sets from a gear shop that specializes in race bike gears.
I wanted to know how much of an interest there was for this product.
Before I put in an order.

I want them to reduce the torque going through the transmission, of course a sprocket change to get you back up to your desired tire speed, reducing the chances of case failure due to high horsepower engine builds. Too many ponies trying to get out of the barn.

Thank you
V/R
Riksoto

Sounds like a good price. There is some minimal work to do to the side case, have a pic somewhere i will fish it out tomorrow. I was told by an XS650 racer who makes these that i may have to go 17/36 to shorten its legs for the road

Yes, I am aware of at least two people who would purchase these if they are the same specs as the units produced in Australia some years ago.
Craig

I am going to put in an order on 20JUL12 if any of you are interested please send me a PM.

These gears are EN36 steel heat treated. EN36 is a much better steel than the OEM gears. The manufacturer has a few decades as an aerospace, industrial,and automotive machinist, who btw races vintage bikes and uses his gears in all his machines, and has a number of trophies to his name.

These gear sets are $700 plus shipping, I will use the most economical shipping with tracking and insurance.

Thank you
V/R
Riksoto

UPDATE I have placed the order, production is scheduled for the beginning of October 2012.

If anyone else is interested, I can add to this order until 15Sept12.

I want to thank those that have purchased a set already.

Thanks Again
V/R
Riksoto

I am hoping to have an ongoing order with the manufacturer. I just need an ongoing demand. I believe once the word gets out about the quality, there will be a higher demand.

Thanks
V/R
Riksoto

You know I've often wondered how well a modernized version of the XS650 might do in the market place. Being that all of Yamaha's patents have expired the entire bike could be reproduced, upgraded to modern specs and sold by any manufacturer as long as the words "Yamaha" and "XS" do not appear anywhere on it.

I keep expecting a Chinese clone to appear at any time.

Of course, a smart manufacturer might want to assemble the bike using many of the upgraded and aftermarket parts that are already on the market and mass production of these parts would actually reduce their costs to the manufacturer and to those of us who are fixing up our real XSs.

This isn't a new idea. Many motorcycles have been copies of other motorcycles and often they didn't even wait for the patents to expire. But most of them were just copies and not always good copies. Imagine a new XS with EFI, 270 rephase, the classic looks and all the tricks XS builders, racers and riders have learned in the last 40 years.

Gears have arrived.

They look great quality and can wait to get started on the rebuild and get them spinning

-CC37-4907-9BFD-42A259C04393-2353-000004EA9BE30CF9.jpg

Update
These gears were made to get the largest crank gear possible to get the best ratio.
The clutch drum and cush spring retainer both need to be turned down slightly to fit the new gear. I contacted Craig Hanson (@ Hanson Racing Technology 530-342-8049) to do the work he has made some tooling to hold the parts in the lathe and make short work of this task. There will be a fee around $50 with shipping. this being said any machine shop should be able to do it.

Have a great day
Riksoto

The gears are in a few bikes and are working great. The back lash is spot on, no gear noise! I had a report that after some miles the side cover was removed and the gears looked great. I sold my last set. If there is more interest I will get more made. right now it looks like 10-15 week lead time.

We used an 18-45 sprocket ratio to keep the engine rpm to speed ratio the same as stock.

After some engine mods we will likely drop the rear sprocket tooth count.

I am working on a custom clutch kit to go with the gears that will be lighter and more disks.

Thanks for the interest
Riksoto

Wow! After a 1.5 year old thread was resurrected, a response in under 20 minutes...

I'm interested in both. Seriously. Building a rephrased, 750cc kitted engine (prolly with stock lift cams for reliability) that will be doing some serious freeway time. Please keep me advise by either pm or email.

With your coming gearing mods, what rpm you looking at, say at 75mph?

TIA

Mitch

Back