Is this a good deal for a stock xs 650

Wow, opened a can of worms hear. Just really wanted to know if the price was right for the year. What I do with it is my business, not trying to be rude. It is a yamaha not a vintage harley.

[B said:
hard_y_rd[/B];118787]Wow, opened a can of worms hear. Just really wanted to know if the price was right for the year. What I do with it is my business, not trying to be rude. It is a yamaha not a vintage harley.

Ha, ha, ha ha, I find this really funny.

Wow, opened a can of worms hear. Just really wanted to know if the price was right for the year. What I do with it is my business, not trying to be rude. It is a yamaha not a vintage harley.

For your intention to cut up a bike, buy a $500 to $1000 bike. The 76,77, 78 and 79 standards are the best years for these bikes, and should be preserved.

You have come on a Yamaha site, and guess what................ we like Yamaha's. Yamaha's from the 70's were extremely well made, unlike that other brand that you mentioned. Are there any harley brand bikes from the 70's still driveable??

I think a lot of us could care less about what you do to a Harley, never mind a 70s one when they were built like shit! It is your business, were just telling you its a waste of money to buy a 2500 stock bike and chop it up when you could get soething a hell of a lot cheaper to hack up, thats all.

Once I get my hands on a 60's sportie Im gonna hack the shit out of it, even if its in showroom condition.

Another hoaxer. You're telling him how to save $2000 and he's saying it's only a Yamaha.

They aren't rare, one more under the knife is no big deal. Give him credit for starting with a decent bike and dodging a bunch of rebuild replate etc. on his build.

gggGary who goes both ways. NO, no, no, I mean stock and custom

He's pissed coz he learned they're 10x cooler and 10x cheaper than his Hardly Riddenson.

Heated debate or what? I'm not saying a Harley is any better just more expensive. I don't even own one. I've just seen that 650 xs bikes make nice affordable bobbers and buying a 500 dollar pice of crap doesn't seem to be a good starting point. I get it that you guys don't like cutting up vintage originals. I just appreciate alot of the bobbers on this site. Nice work guys. I'll shut up now. Sorry for stepping on anybody's toes. Looking forward for some tips in the future... maybe if I go that route.

Heated debate or what? I'm not saying a Harley is any better just more expensive. I don't even own one. I've just seen that 650 xs bikes make nice affordable bobbers and buying a 500 dollar pice of crap doesn't seem to be a good starting point. I get it that you guys don't like cutting up vintage originals. I just appreciate alot of the bobbers on this site. Nice work guys. I'll shut up now. Sorry for stepping on anybody's toes. Looking forward for some tips in the future... maybe if I go that route.

I bought an '80 good running condition with that many miles for $800. Paid $600 to have it shipped here. But I'm keeping it stock or at least awhile. Check eBay, Craigslist if you haven't already. If you're going to custom it I'm not sure that the year would matter.

Heated debate or what? . I've just seen that 650 xs bikes make nice affordable bobbers and buying a 500 dollar pice of crap doesn't seem to be a good starting point. Looking forward for some tips in the future... .

You are another fad chaser. You havent answered any answers from the questions you arsked, you don't know anyhting about the xs and will chop the shit out of it before learning how to tune it, deal with any electrical and engine issues, then you will expect answers from questions like ............."Why wont my bike start"

There is a saying...........A fool and his money is easly parted............I am thinking it applies here

Uh........... Welcome to the site hard y rd You are right the XS650 is great way to start a custom.

That's a crap deal for a pristine XS, let alone something you're going to chop up. I bought my '83 with 10,000 miles (16,000kms) on it for $500. It was complete, and needed just some starter gears and a front brake overhaul.

There's guy near here selling a mint 1971 for $3500 and he's having a hard time selling it. When we join a site like this, sometimes we end up recycling each others enthusiasm to the point where we think we have the world's most exclusive, best engineered motorcycle that people will walk over each other to buy. As it stands, the bike is only worth what the local market will bear, and in my city at least, that ain't much.

Don't know about the poster's province, but it is nigh on impossible to insure even a mildly modified bike in Ontario. A guy here in Ottawa is running up against it with a modified '82 Kat 750. All Suzuki parts, much better suspended, firmer chassis, better brakes, but no go. Insurance company wants it appraised, won't insure it if the mods weren't done by a professional mechanic etc. Plus, once it hits 30 years of age, most insurance companies won't even insure a bone stock bike, so it gets lumped in with the "classic" category, meaning only one or two companies will insure it, once again, after an appraisal, and only 3000km a year allowed to be ridden, no commuting to work, no riding it to school etc. The insurance companies in Ontario are the biggest bunch of pricks on the planet.

Another guy on the gsresources had an XS650 tracker, and he basically had to put it back to stock to get it insured. As for me, I might just buy a couple of old bikes and spread the riding season out over them. At near on $1000/yr to insure a 1200 Bandit, you might as well have some variety.

Im insured with state farm, and the only thing they care about is engine size. Other then that they dont give two shits about you or your bike. downside is Imm paying nearly as much for insurance as my brothers 100+hp ninja. Anyone ever go with primum?

hey pro, i am with them too, and i am paying 3300, but am under 25 and have been riding for less than a year... i am hoping next year i will be low low low.

As for the original question. I find that price high, regardless of wheather you are chopping it.

How do I answer an answer about a question 650skull. I don't think any of your comments are helpful if that's answer enough for you. Why don't you worry about your own mechanical abilities and i'll worry about mine.
Thanks all you guys with the positive feedback, gggGary and anyone else. I'm done with this thread.

Back