Is this broken? NEWB help

mjamusic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this site has been a wealth of knowledge and I now I need some of that knowledge desperately. I just started my pamco install and did not get very far...I got the bushings installed and as I was inspecting it I saw a crack. Is this broken for good, repairable? What should I do? Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 300
I'm putting it on the 80. The crack is not deep but goes farther than the first thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 263
It is broken cleaning the rust out and a little oil would have prevented that. If you can get the nut started it should be ok my opinion.

mj...,

I agree with Scabber. If you can get the big jam nut started you should be OK. The issue will be whether the bushing is lined up or not. If not, then you will probably experience advance rod binding. If that happens and it can't be fixed, then perhaps you can be a Beta tester for the new electronic advancer although it it's present form you would still have to be able to install the advance plate and jam nut.

If your going to leave it that way. Before I put the nut on I would "stop drill" that crack to stop it from cracking more.
I would use a 1/16th drillbit at the end of the crack and drill a hole through the cam but not throught the bush. here is a guy that stop drilled a couple cracks

It won't crack much more, the bearings and the advance unit should hold it together just fine. I've removed much worse from great running engines. If you ever tear it back down, maybe deal with it then...

Pamco,
I'm pretty sure the advance rod is binding, should I continue with the install and give it a shot? I'd definitely be willing to beta test if this one is a no go...

Pamco,
I'm pretty sure the advance rod is binding, should I continue with the install and give it a shot? I'd definitely be willing to beta test if this one is a no go...

Well, try a little harder to get the advance rod to work. If it won't cooperate, then I will send you an electronic advancer, but the advance plate must be installed.

To get the rod to not bind, I used a dab of valve lapping compound on the rod. I then pushed the rod in and put one of the nuts on the end and spun it with a socket driven by a drill. with it spinning a pushed it in and out at the tight spots. Stopped after a bit and clean up, greased the rod, checked for binding. Repeat as needed untill the rod don't bind.
Leo

Back