Is this rim change feasible?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay, this is my very first post. I just bought a 1975 xs 650. But I foolishly bought rims prior to this. They are off a Harley street glide, but are used on others. They are the 28 spoke version. The rear is 6 3/4 inch wide by 17 tall. I know I can get a wider swing arm. I know I can get a extended swing arm. Which I am looking to do anyway. BUT, how do I compensate for the chain? It currently runs behind the frame, but can I do something to bring it out to meet the wider rim? :banghead:

Move the engine 2 inches to the left.

I fail to understand the thinking that puts that much rotational mass behind a motor with less than half the torque of the original application, but good luck with it, I guess. There's a couple of hands around here with wide wheel experience, but I don't know about THAT wide.

Okay, this is my very first post. I just bought a 1975 xs 650. But I foolishly bought rims prior to this. They are off a Harley street glide, but are used on others. They are the 28 spoke version. The rear is 6 3/4 inch wide by 17 tall. I know I can get a wider swing arm. I know I can get a extended swing arm. Which I am looking to do anyway. BUT, how do I compensate for the chain? It currently runs behind the frame, but can I do something to bring it out to meet the wider rim? :banghead:

look on you tube search xs650 bobbers look for a post from nicerides he has a 200mm tire with clearance on a hardtail super clean bike video is about a month old so easy to find , im going to use a 5.5x16 with a 200mm tire to offset my skinny 21 front with -4 springer

Back