Is this welder worth it?

drewbaby88

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need a 120V welder because I have no 220V outlets. I'm not gonna build the Eiffel Tower with this thing, just small stuff like tabs, brackets, etc. It is already setup for MIG, just add a bottle.

Lincoln Handy MIG

Nothing wrong with a 110v welder. I would try to find one with independent voltage and wire speed knobs. that will let you dial it in better for what ever your doing

Yeah, I'd spend a little more and get a bigger 110V machine. You'd likely get frustrated with one that small.

Nothing wrong with a 110v welder. I would try to find one with independent voltage and wire speed knobs. that will let you dial it in better for what ever your doing

This is true until you get the chance to weld with a 220V (or 3 phase). For a smaller welder I have a Miller 211. In the event that you have the chance to upgrade to 220 you have the option to. It will weld off 110 or 2220 and has a smart switch so you only have to switch the plug. The smart weld is a nice feature, and you can also control the feed rate, and heat independently. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the 211 is a great machine. Also, you have the option to weld aluminium with the 211 as well should you ever have the need to.

Just my 2 cents.:)

I second that... Look at the Hobart Handler 140... FWIW I tried the HF MIG (110 and 220V) and had bad luck as well as a Thermadyne FP130 (110V) off of Craigslist....

it is really easy to add 220/240 to your garage, so maybe think about that before you commit to a 110/120.

Back