Advice wanted...welders?

Hi Pete,
is that your right or stage right? Because neither of you looks like your avatar, eh? So which of you is wearing the plaid shirt?
And how COULD you visit Phoenix and not take the short drive to Mesa and have pizza inside the Mighty Wurlitzer?
http://www.organstoppizza.com/

If you are looking at welding thin metal (e.g. 1mm 1.5mm 2mm 3mm) then you need to have suitable current settings. I have seen inverter mig units which give totally variable current but if you get a traditional style mig then it should have about 4 settings for the lower currents e.g. 35A, 55A, 65A and 85A for the Sealey Mighty Mig 100XT . My cheapy rewound mig does 45A, 67A and 90A but I could do with another division between the 45A and 67A for 1mm sheet metal.

A friend of mine swears by his inverter unit which cost about £600 pounds in the UK - apparently the best thing since sliced bread. It also has the option for TIG. Perhaps there are strong views out there regarding the merits of inverters??

FRED: good catch - I corrected my post to say that Daniel is on my left (I'm the lumpy old bugger in the plaid shirt). As for the pizza - I come from Windsor, ON and so, with respect, it's difficult to get too excited about pizza elsewhere.

On the matter of Daniel's bike, Stella: He's get her running very sweetly but he still has a couple of bugs to iron out. He promised to do a parts list & schematic of his very tidy electrical installation for us all once it's completed. It really is cool and provides impressive modern bike functionality and safety in a very seamless fashion. I will certainly be upgrading Lucille and my cafe bike as he has done.

PAUL: great question about inverters. The whole issue of the flexibility of welding control is important to me and is what attracts me to the Miller 211.

Comments anyone?

Pete is altogether too kind. I'll put up an update on my thread later today.

I'm not sure about Windsor pizza, but I grew up with NY pizza. And like Pete, am picky about where I get it. The gents that maintain that Wurlitzer at Organ Stop also maintain the Wurlitzer in the theatre in which I work. Really wonderful guys with an average age slightly over this forum's. The organ lofts are full of classically simple ingenuity, beautiful wood handled tools and old coffee cans full of sundry bits and pieces. Just this Sunday they were extolling the wonders of their pizza shop, but in answer to 'How's the pizza?' they shrugged their shoulders and declared the organ and dancing cats (marionettes controlled by the organ!) is why you go. Fair enough.

Little Miss BBQ, worth every moment of the 90min wait. And before my Southern friends jump in, let me say this is the best BBQ I've had outside of Bristol, Tennessee.

ahhhhh - I can hear Jackie Gleason in that movie where he played a southern sheriff against Burt Reynolds who drove a black Pontiac TransAM (Smokey and the Bandit?).

During the epic chase, Gleason had Reynolds on the CB and he yelled <insert poorly done southern US accent here>:

When Ahhhh ketchu - ahhhmmmonna baaahhhbecue yo @ss in molasses boyyy!!!

....of course, that was also the same movie where a whole bunch of Harley choppers got run over by a tractor-trailer rig......

FRED: good catch - I corrected my post to say that Daniel is on my left (I'm the lumpy old bugger in the plaid shirt). As for the pizza - I come from Windsor, ON and so, with respect, it's difficult to get too excited about pizza elsewhere. - - -
Hi Pete,
I agree with Daniel about Organ Stop's pizza, at best it's between 6 and 7 on a ten-scale.
But the indifferent pizza don't matter, where else in the world can you dine INSIDE a musical instrument?
Admittedly I have no experience with Windsor ON or NYC pizza but I will say that the best pizza in Western Canada is found at Pizzaria Adria in Biggar SK

Totally agree with the variable current.
Mine has a "Dial-a-Blob"...

Hi 2Many,
so?
Most amateurs have the Dial-a-Blob setting on their machines.
Mine also has the "leave-a-gap" and "zero-penetration" settings plus
the rare but much sought after "Perfect-bead-in-the-wrong-place" accessory kit.

...Mine also has the "leave-a-gap" and "zero-penetration" settings plus
the rare but much sought after "Perfect-bead-in-the-wrong-place" accessory kit.

Hey, Fred. I thought I had that kit, too. But it wasn't working. Just checked, dangit, had the switch in the wrong position, pointing to "Burn-a-hole" and "Birds nest while u wait"...

The welders I used to run seemed especially adept at shooting red hot dingle berries into my ear when I had my head tipped sideways. And there was the one that caught the crotch of my Levi's on fire just minutes before I was scheduled to leave work to go to traffic court. Good times! Boy I miss welding!

The welders I used to run seemed especially adept at shooting red hot dingle berries into my ear when I had my head tipped sideways. And there was the one that caught the crotch of my Levi's on fire just minutes before I was scheduled to leave work to go to traffic court. Good times! Boy I miss welding!

Hi Mailman,
during my 3-month apprentice stint in the welding shop I learned to communicate through dancing.
My own "cutting torch sparks have welded my socks to my ankles" two-step was much admired by the welding shop journeymen.
I also learned that the journeymen didn't wear elastic-sided ankle boots because they were poofters but because that design of boot
worked best at keeping the sparks out.
What I learned in the TIG shop is that when you are TIG welding and rest your feet on the welding table's lower rail while wearing nail-studded boots
you get a weird tingling feeling in your legs.

Jumping in late here on the welding convo... I recently (last summer) took up welding and learned quick that stick/arc welding is good for pretty much messing everything up that you want to weld. LOL...I am joking of course, but it takes a fine hand and the right materials/settings to do a decent job and LOTS of practice...of which, I just plain suck at. So I moved to a mig and it's night/day better! I think the only thing that I'd add is if you're forced to weld outside (as my garage is not big enough nor suited for it), then having a gas-less flux core option is great! I'd opt for gas in a heartbeat if I could find room inside. :)

Good luck!

Jumping in late here on the welding convo... I recently (last summer) took up welding and learned quick that stick/arc welding is good for pretty much messing everything up that you want to weld. LOL...I am joking of course, but it takes a fine hand and the right materials/settings to do a decent job and LOTS of practice...of which, I just plain suck at. So I moved to a mig and it's night/day better! I think the only thing that I'd add is if you're forced to weld outside (as my garage is not big enough nor suited for it), then having a gas-less flux core option is great! I'd opt for gas in a heartbeat if I could find room inside. :)

Good luck!

Thanks Brassneck - I stick welded many years ago as an engineering student and I fully agree that it is quite a learned skill. Hey - have you got North America's most beautiful cafe bike out on those Pacific NW roads yet?

Pete

...Secret for every MIG user that will REALLY pay off. Was decades before I found these, what a time/pain saver. $4 stinking bux.
24A430_AW01?$zmmain$.jpg

MultiThanx for that tip, gggGary!
Just got 3 for $9. Hoarding them now...
LubeMatic.jpg

Back