Mig welder question

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have an older Miller mig welder that uses flux core wire. I want to convert it to use solid wire/gas. I have most of the parts needed for the conversion but there are two choices for the flow meter on the argon/co2 tank. One uses two dial gauges (psi/cfh) and the other uses the tube and ball style. Any advantages to using one or the other?

Hi Grinder,

We have both types of regulators. I personally prefer the ball style one. But I cannot tell you why. I just do.

V

I've heard that the ball-tube style is slightly more accurate, but I can't say I've ever noticed the difference and I have both styles.

the ball type is more accurate, and for that, its mainly used in tig, but can be used for mig. The gauges are better(imo) because the ball type must be perfectly vertical for accurate readings, gauges are not dependent on being vertical, but preferred.
Iether way, both will work fine, just square up the ball meter.

Last year, I needed to weld my clutch worm experiment, but the 22 year old argon dial-type regulator blew out its diaphram. I replaced it with a new ball/tube type flowmeter. It was much cheaper, and less likely to disintegrate...

Thanks for the replies. I got a new in package Smith tube and ball style flowmeter on Craig's list for $45. The guy bought it and never used it. Now for the cylinder, that's the expensive part.

That's a decent price for 40. They get $125 around here. I did end up getting a 40 but can trade up at any point and get my money back towards a larger tank.

Hi Grinder,

Make sure you keep the receipts for the tank purchases. If the gas supplier you purchased the tank from closes it helps to prove to another supplier you own the tank vs renting. I had to bring out the proof of ownership once in the past. Also, be particular of the condition of tank you swap out. Its a pain to bring a tank home thats lost 1/3 of contents after you left the store from a leaky shutoff valve or damaged threads. Over time, maybe think of getting multiple backup tanks on hand too. Having a spare tank is priceless when you're in build mode. Good luck.

Good info. That happened to me once when exchanging an acetylene tank, they usually have about 400 psi full but this one had less that 100. He exchanged it again no problem.

Hi Grinder,
a leaking acetylene tank will also trigger a carbon-monoxide detector.
And yeah, my supplier swapped the leaky-valve tank no problem.
Which didn't make up for the embarrassment of my two 911 calls.
Nobody on the fire truck knew that acetylene would do that until the second sniffer trip around the garage went right by my gas welding rig and the detector needle went off-scale high.

Back