Issues with VM34/Bike running in 2nd gear

darynar1016

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my situation.
I am having issues with my bike when I start to ride it. It runs nice while in first gear and I can roll the throttle smooth and it will not hiccup or backfire. As soon as I shift to 2nd though it is like the entire bike drains and it will not take throttle without hissing, popping, and dying.
Then the entire bike seems to act awful until it rests for a while.

This is my first time doing jetting and I have read the manuals numerous times and I just cannot figure it out.
My electrical is fine, I've checked the cam chain, the valves, and the timing and according to what I've read on the forums/clymer they are all adjusted to where they need to be.

I have a little experience working with bikes but I am not entirely sure what my problem could be. I am about ready to have someone else work on it but that is an entire weekend trip so I would really like to help myself figure it out that way I can learn.
I am lost though.

I am running vm34's with 175 MJ, the clip 1 step down/need raised 1 step, and 22.5 PJ. My air screws are 1 turn out and my idle is synched with the 5/32 drill bit trick.

I would appreciate anyone's help with any advice or redirection to something that would help and I've read most of the forum posts with the same sort of issues my bike is having.

Thanks in advance.
Daryn

OK, what's the rest of the brass--NJ, needle, slide? What's the float level setting? You set the drop synch with a drill bit, but have you checked the lift? What's the history on this problem--was the bike ever running properly? And finally, as TwoMany implied, what have you done in the way of ignition inspection? If you have the needles in #2 position on #22.5 PJ's, you're gonna be pretty lean off idle.

I keep repeating this, but if you haven't confirmed compression, valve settings, and ignition function, you're wasting your time trying to tune the carbies.

Back