It had to happen......

Michaelo

650Mick
Reaction score
It’s been a while....but I’ve been charged with getting this bike going again, just doing a couple of half days weekly for interest sake. Interestingly this bike has sat for many years, was part of the “donor” parts I needed around the time when i was having some charging “issues” on my 75B......i sorta pinched / borrowed some parts from it. Missing the rotor....wonder where that went ? So start at the top and work your way down with the project bike.
Now I get to make it breath life again...well it will take a few weeks to throw some wrenches at it. The fuel was interesting with both bowls with some sort of liquid in them that was gas.....I’ll explain more later.
Nice to be able to get one of these in my hands again, still the Triumphs are always wanting attention but the XS650 is a pretty cool bike too

A9177E3C-5B86-40A1-9D91-6F585EFB24C5.jpeg

Dead gas made its mark
7650AFF5-A335-4DFF-9508-812A50873C00.jpeg

Don’t ask, it wasn’t me
0C365BD8-7102-4549-BDA0-5BC0907D218B.jpeg

It’s been a while....but I’ve been charged with getting this bike going again, just doing a couple of half days weekly for interest sake. Interestingly this bike has sat for many years, was part of the “donor” parts I needed around the time when i was having some charging “issues” on my 75B......i sorta pinched / borrowed some parts from it. Missing the rotor....wonder where that went ? So start at the top and work your way down with the project bike.
Now I get to make it breath life again...well it will take a few weeks to throw some wrenches at it. The fuel was interesting with both bowls with some sort of liquid in them that was gas.....I’ll explain more later.
Nice to be able to get one of these in my hands again, still the Triumphs are always wanting attention but the XS650 is a pretty cool bike too

View attachment 185202

Dead gas made its mark
View attachment 185203

Don’t ask, it wasn’t me
View attachment 185204
Found this in a 76 DT175
IMG_9072.jpg
IMG_9073.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have you to know there are no tractor projects going on at Chez Downeaster at the moment.

There IS, however an Onan genset of 1952 vintage being checked out, cleaned up and about to be test run:

View attachment 185211

Oooohhh - that looks very pretty DE!

We used Onan diesel generators when I worked for Schlumberger Wireline in West Africa in the early 1980s - they are superb machines! I watched one fall off the back of a fast moving truck and tumble @ss-over-tea-kettle down the road for about 50 yards. It looked something like this...at least prior to the truck incident....
img.jpg

When we got it flipped over onto its bottom, it started right up and worked like a <badly battered> charm.

But enough diversions - how about an authentic DE-XS restoration?

Last edited:
Michaelo my man! Throw a boomerang properly and it will always come back. Ah! The splendour of the Whitsundays, (Airlie Beach to our American friends), has loosened its grip and you have returned to the frustrating grease covered, knuckle damaged world of the would be restorer. Good to see you mate but I think I would have pursued retirement at the Anchor bar. Oh well..... keep us posted.
Cheers

Thanks for the welcome backs, I’ve missed my forum friends, Rustie, i thought I’d seen nearly everything, but Araldite to glue foam...wow....
What grumbles were those Gaz? Good ones ? Ha!
Pete, David, Bob, Tasmania was great, it was a long ride back, actually, it was a bloody long ride both ways....plan....return back to Tasmania after finishing of repairs to our home.....Anchor bar has moved...to our deck :)

Well on the subject of cobbled up air filters I guess I should have taken a picture of what I did for(to) the 1978 I'm kind-of working on when I get some ambition. Might take a while as the `92 Sportster trans is on the work table right now.

Well as the original air filters for the `78 were reduced to powder and I had no idea if the thing would ever run again I just could not bring my self to pay more for a pair of filters than I did for the bike. Somewhere I found someone who came up with the idea to take a Briggs and Stratton oval air filter and cut it in to two "C" shapes then close off the open ends with plastic held on with epoxy. If I get around to it I might pop one out later today and take a picture. Anyhow for something like $10.00 I had a pair of filters that should be good for at least some test runs to determine if the bike is worth keeping.

Back